Early Autumn in the Upper Midwest

Algonquin, IL(Zone 5a)

Well, I believe Autumn has arrived.
The air is cool, the leaves are blowing, and...of course...the early colors are upon us.

I thought I'd help us head into the season with a few of the sights of Autumn from in and around my yard. As time allows and as the season progresses, I'll try to add more from other areas as well.

Please join in and add your own sights of the season. Also, I don't have many autumn blooms this year, but I know some of you do and I'm sure we'd all love to see those as well.

So...LET'S GET THIS PARTY ROLLING!

Thumbnail by nutsaboutnature Thumbnail by nutsaboutnature Thumbnail by nutsaboutnature Thumbnail by nutsaboutnature Thumbnail by nutsaboutnature

nuts - great pics! Nothing too showy here yet. Tricyrtis just starting to bloom and mums still have a ways to go.
Temp dropped like a rock this morning. Was about 65 when I woke up and I think it's dropped about 15 degrees. Had to hurry and bring in some houseplants which I wasn't ready for. I know, Tom Skilling had been forecasting the colder temp but I didn't act accordingly. I'm procrastinating with age.

Algonquin, IL(Zone 5a)

Thanks, Cindy!
Oh, I'm so jealous. If you knew how often I've thought about planting Tricyrtis you would laugh - that along with a lot of other Fall bloomers. Yeah, "one-of-these-days"...I'm also procrastinating with age.

My Gaillardias and Asters drowned one Spring a couple years ago. I do miss the Gaillardia so I might have to replace those. Next year there are several Butterfly/Hummer annuals that WILL get planted. I wonder if Juhur's Zinnias are still blooming?

It went down to at least 35 this morning, yet I still have a couple of Hummingbirds - not for long, though. It might freeze tonight.

Not sure how cold it got here last night but I don't think as cold as you, nuts. I think the last hummingbird left this week - haven't seen it for a couple of days. I will leave the feeders up for another week just in case.
As for Tricyrtis, I do like the 'Gilt Edge' the most because I get a nice foliage color for most of the growing season although 'Shirohotogisa' has pretty mottled foliage as well.
Zinnias and dahlias survived last night here so still have some color until the mums open up.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Red Maple beginning ,
and the Burning Bush Viburnum about the areaare looking about the red shade ,

There is another and the end of the road I will try for (piic) shortly ..

Hey gasrocks ! It's Volcanic ash from Hawaii !!!^_^ lol ..
yes , I know , wrong thread ,, oh well ...

This message was edited Oct 4, 2014 11:04 AM

Thumbnail by juhur7

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.