aptenia cordifolia variegata

Newburgh, IN(Zone 6a)

I have this plant growing on my deck. It is so beautiful and the frost will kill it soon. Has anyone had luck with bringing it in for the winter in zones where it freezes? Just wondering if it is worth the effort to replant and try to save it.

Thumbnail by MsMaati
KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

I have this plant and bring it in every winter. It gets ragged looking on me but could be my watering habits too. In the spring I just take cuttings off the overwintered plant and it takes off again. This year I have a much smaller plant I've brought in so should be easier to keep looking nice. Shortleaf also has this plant and his looked great last winter.

Northwest, MO(Zone 5a)

Yes, it is worth the effort. I have had this plant for three years and just bring some of it in for the winter and make fresh starts in the spring.

Newburgh, IN(Zone 6a)

Thanks. I am going to give it a try.

Anna, IL(Zone 6b)

I know someone that has the plant growing in my area, in a large tub. I feel sure they do not plan on taking it in, but I may swing by and ask for a few cuttings. Beautiful plant.

Northwest, MO(Zone 5a)

Maybe it would winter over in zone 6b, but it sure won't in my zone 5. Hope you can get a few starts...it is beautiful.

Newburgh, IN(Zone 6a)

Thanks, just took some of it and brought it in. We expect a hard freeze here on Saturday night.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.