Begun Fall plant migration?

Oviedo, FL(Zone 9b)

I have started to bring in my plants and to clean up my outdoors and sunroom to hold the plants I intend to keep over the winter. I have 4 massive hibiscus, one a standard, my single large bougainvillea, quite a few pelargoniums, a lantana I intend to pot up and bring in, several smaller houseplants that summer out of doors. I just finished cleaning out my kitchen counter plant corner and have housed my small fancy begonias there for the winter. I seem to have acquired a whole bunch of succulents that I made into dish gardens and several coleus that I grew from seed. I hate the fact that the frost is going to take out my Tiny Tim tomatoes. They did so well! I also have a couple of plants that belong to the public library that are at my house for R & R over the summer. I also snapped at the cactus and succulent show two weeks ago and bought several dwarf pelargoniums that I have to pot up. I am also trying to keep some mini hosta going indoors. We'll see how that works.
What have you all got coming in?
Martha

Lexington, MA(Zone 6a)

Kumquot, calamondon orange, meyer lemon, persian lime, finger lime, hibiscus, three dish gardens, bay tree, rosemary, coffee tree. All sprayed for pests several still on the kitchen table, still need trimming etc before they go to their home. I used canoba wax on the low cabinet where they will go in side several Indian metal trays. Tsk tsk about the rest of the nice things, elephant ears, coleus, lavender...

Thomaston, CT

I'm bringing in a pot with elephant ears & succulents....it's large, so will go into my basement by the sliding glass doors. I have a geranium to pot up & bring into my living room....

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

do not take in jm's until around t-day

Lexington, MA(Zone 6a)

My potted camellias stay out a bit longer, too.

Marilyn, do you leave the elephant ears growing in the soil? I know the bulb turns to mush if it freezes, but it's a pain the dig up the whole thing. Do you trim the leaves or treat it as a large houseplant? If you think I'm feeling guilty about mine, I am.

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

dig them up or lose them - you can always get new ones at HD

Lexington, MA(Zone 6a)

Taro, bye bye. (sung to the tune of a Brazilian beach song)

Thomaston, CT

I bring the whole pot in....the elephant ears goes dormant, but begins to put out new leaves in April.....

Oviedo, FL(Zone 9b)

Cleaned out my bedroom garden window yesterday and put down a piece of flannel backed vinyl tablecloth over the wood surface. Should have done this years ago. All my pelargoniums are inside. I had one dead cactus in the bedroom window and lots of dust and dog hair. The flourescent spot lights overhead are OK. The white Bird of Paradise is in this window now.
I have to clear out some stuff in the sunroom to make room for another table.
I think several of these pelargoniums are going to the Flower Show in the spring.
Soon to come in will be the hibiscus plants and I may be babysitting a lemon tree for a friend over the winter.
Martha

Lexington, MA(Zone 6a)

My DH heard what was said about the elephant ears, so it is resting comfortably by the living room couch.

Thomaston, CT

Good, Rosemary! I still have a geranium to come in, Martha.....Nicki takes up so much of my time, then I try to be at the nursing home to feed my Mom 5 days a week.....my house is a mess...wish I could just hire someone to come in & clean, but I spend all my money on the pup!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.