Dirt Can Make You Happy

San Marcos, TX(Zone 8b)

I just came across a very interesting article that offers scientific proof of something I have long suspected. It seems that there is a specific type of bacterium present in dirt that when inhaled causes your brain to release serotonin, a substance that has the multiple effects of elevating one's mood, reducing anxiety, and improving one's cognitive abilities. The bacterium is Mycobacterium vaccae and it's generally present in soil worldwide. Without my expounding further on this, anyone wanting further information can just google the bacterium's scientific name and there will be numerous articles available on the subject. This might explain why the smell of freshly plowed ground causes one to feel exhilarated and why the term "playing in the dirt" really is just that.

This thread has one reply. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!