Bromeliad flowering

Naples, FL

I'm wondering what can be said about Bromeliad flowering- is it related to day-length, or temperature, or life of the plant, or?

Specifically I am interested in the bromeliads we use in the outdoor landscape here in Florida: Aechmea blanchetiana, Neoregelia spp., Vriesea spp., and Alcantarea imperialis, among a few others.

Mostly these are used for leaf color, for shade color, and for winter color; but all flower and I've not managed to observe them showing periodicity of any sort. Anyone know for sure, or perhaps can cite sources?

Starkville, MS(Zone 8a)

I know a bit about bromeliads, growing only a few varieties but having lots of what I grow. The Neoregelia and Vriesea typically will begin their blooming cycles in late spring/early summer and will continue to develop the color-change/flower stalks into fall. They should be in bloom throughout fall and (depending on your location) well into winter. The Billbergia typically will bloom in the spring and again in the fall, but their flowers won't last long, perhaps a couple of weeks. The Billgergia are often grown as much for their spectacular flowers as for their interesting leaf patterns.

I can only show you what I grow but here is what my Neoregelia, Vriesea, and Bilgergia look like right now. The first Neoregelia will continue to develop the rich, dark crimson and if it gets no sun, will get some pinks. The second Neoregelia is just beginning to turn and those upper leaves will get bubblegum pink. The third photo is a Vriesea and it has just begun to form its maroon "arrowhead" flower. It may form more stalks since there are three mature plants here. The final picture is of the 'Marbled Rainbow' Billgergia and is just beginning to form its flower stalk.

All these plants grow best in partial to full shade and really flourish with a few hours of early morning and/or late afternoon sun. They are tropical and won't do well at or below freezing temperatures.

Ken

Thumbnail by drdawg43 Thumbnail by drdawg43 Thumbnail by drdawg43 Thumbnail by drdawg43

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.