A first for me.

Chandler, AZ(Zone 9b)

No big whoop for all the green thumbers out here, but this is the first time I actually got a plumeria cutting to understand that root is spelled with TWO o's not one. One of the windstorms snapped off a branch and I figured nothing ventured..... . The amazing part to me is it only took about three weeks to show signs of life. It was pretty shriveled because I didn't find the broken piece til about two weeks after the storm. This is from one of my quasi-neglected pots and I have no idea what color it is. It has never bloomed. (probably because it spends it's energy trying to survive my ministrations or the lack there of.) Sorry about the focus, but I was so excited my hand was shaking.

Thumbnail by jkochan
Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9b)

Congratulations Jim ! It is a big deal and I am so happy for you.
From the several plumerias that I have, only one bloomed but it bloomed for over a month so I had a lot of time to enjoy the flowers and their fragrance.

Prescott, AZ

OK, here's another tropical plant that won't survive in Prescott, I'm jealous! But I do congratulate you on your new arrival, it's so fun to succeed at plant propagation. I think that some things do better if the cutting can dry a little before going into soil, I know that's recommended for a lot of succulents. Everything must have worked right for this one, now to get it bloom!

Chandler, AZ(Zone 9b)

Well, dry was certainly not a problem. I thought that I could maybe give it an edge, so I made a few slits in the stem and dipped it some rooting hormone. That may account for the quick start

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9b)

I bet that helped, Jim. I had a cutting and it did not root that fast, but I did not think to use rooting hormone. Smart move.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.