Rebloomers

Iowa City, IA(Zone 5a)

Any pics of reblooms? My Forever Blue had one bloom about a month ago, not too impressive. Now I've got some buds coming up on noIDs. Two of them that I don't think bloomed in the spring. Will post pics when they open.

Lyndon, IL(Zone 5a)

Here's a few from today: Smell the roses, Constant Companion,and Feedback..........Arlyn

Thumbnail by crowrita1 Thumbnail by crowrita1 Thumbnail by crowrita1
Iowa City, IA(Zone 5a)

Lovely! This dwarf opened yesterday. I think it's the one that surprised me with a bloom last November.

Thumbnail by iowhen Thumbnail by iowhen Thumbnail by iowhen

Does the foliage on rebloomers stay nicer looking than others? My German iris foliage looks positively ratty by the end of the summer, worse this summer maybe due to all of the rain?

Iowa City, IA(Zone 5a)

The rebloomers don't look any different. Are slugs chewing up your leaves?

Here is today's bloom: quite gorgeous blue-black noID

Thumbnail by iowhen Thumbnail by iowhen
(Mary) Anchorage, AK(Zone 4b)

Yes, for some reason slugs chewed the leaves of only one of my iris. They are in pots and there were others of the same size pot so no clue what was so delicious about that one.

Concord, NC

Very Lovely Blue-Black Noid Gypsy! Here the only Reliable Rebloomer we grow..SUMMER RADIANCE 1996 by Wilkerson..it's a Very Tall modern TB gets about 48 inches..blooms every November around the week of the 23rd, my mother's birthday. notice all the leaves have all fallen down by the time this one blooms..i leave the leaves on them over winter than rake them off in early March and put down some bone meal and epsoma bulb tone at the start of the new Spring Growth.

Thumbnail by themikesmom

Why do you leave the leaves on them over winter?

Concord, NC

my mom had some sweet iris 'I. pallida 'Dalmatica' when we moved into this house in the early 60's when i was in 6th grade in Upstate, NY and there was a warm spell about the 2nd year we lived there and the snow banks and ice melted down into her bed and then it got cold again the following week and the melt that refroze, froze out like 80% of her rhizomes, so after that she started covering them with leaves in the Fall, it protects them from melt, I would imagine it would work particularly good in Alaska to protect them from the fridgid winters. one thing nice is that if You dont put them on more than 3-5 inches thick over the beds than most of it turns into nice natural fertilizer when it breaks down in early Spring and very little You will have to rake in Preperation of the emergence of new Spring growth.

I miss read. I thought you were talking about the leaves on the iris, not leaves fallen from trees. I tried that one year, covering with leaves. They froze to the ground and I couldn't get them off very early in the spring. Now I just leave the corms slightly covered with dirt. Some make it and some don't. No clue why. Guess some are just hardier.

Concord, NC

wow.i never realized it would be so cold there that in Spring the leaves are frozen in place..they used to use leaves at Presby Memorial Iris Gardens in NJ but had some kind of problem in a few of the beds from them getting some kind of fungal rot from slime on the leaves they used as winter covering i was told about 6 years ago, so they now use some sort of natural material insulation blankets that they tie down with some kind of netting, they may be the people to ask as well as member sugarbean1 (Laetitia) who works with Presby, then again member harloiris (John) who lives in high elevation Montana had lost a huge portion of his collection about 2011 to snow and ice melt and started covering his beds with about 3 inches of leaves in the Fall the next year as opposed to five inches so he doesnt even have to rake them they breakdown for him, and he has had much success saving less hardier cultivars.

Sandyville, WV(Zone 6b)

Here is a picture of "Buckwheat" now blooming after being planted about only 2 months ago. I purchased from Schreiner's and planted at my stepfather's home in Jackson, OH. I currently have a bud on "Autumn Bugler" here at my home in WV...it too was just planted roughly 2 months ago, it came from Exline Iris, also in WV.

Thumbnail by landreyev
Concord, NC

My FEEDBACK by Hager 1983 and my ELEANOR ROOSEVELT Sass-McDade 1933 neither are reliable rebloomers here for me unfortunately, but are in other yards apparently...lol. Just recieved 'Belvi Queen' from C and T Iris in Colorodo this Summer and it's supposed to be a lovely tall orange bronze Fall color dependable Rebloomer. We shall see next Fall.

Thumbnail by themikesmom Thumbnail by themikesmom Thumbnail by themikesmom
Lyndon, IL(Zone 5a)

A few more from today: Earl Of Essex, Lady Essex ,Baby Blessed,,andPurple Joy............Arlyn

Thumbnail by crowrita1 Thumbnail by crowrita1 Thumbnail by crowrita1 Thumbnail by crowrita1
Iowa City, IA(Zone 5a)

This lovely yellow finally blossomed. Smells divine. And branching like crazy!

Also, I finally got my nose next to the ground to smell the little blue/violet dwarf and it smells like roses! So I guess it's Smell the Roses. The darker one closely resembles Midsummer Night's Dream, which I had planted somewhere, but has a dreamy fragrance, and apparently MND has none.

Now Constant Companion has shot up a bloom stalk. I just planted it in August!

Thumbnail by iowhen Thumbnail by iowhen Thumbnail by iowhen Thumbnail by iowhen Thumbnail by iowhen
Lyndon, IL(Zone 5a)

I really like that dark one !! It would look great in a bed with that yellow !! Now that the nights are getting cooler, I'm starting to get lots more stalks starting....just hope they don't get TOO cool !...................Arlyn

I agree. That dark one is luscious.

Iowa City, IA(Zone 5a)

Constant companion.

Thumbnail by iowhen
Waldron, AR

My Autumn Tryst, is blooming now....super having such a spring like color to compliment all the fall yellow, orange and red mums that are now blooming!

Thumbnail by joyfulirises
Lyndon, IL(Zone 5a)

Mine just opened today, also ! Along with "Anxious"

Thumbnail by crowrita1 Thumbnail by crowrita1
Columbus, OH

This is Violet Turner. And I have a few more I will try to photograph this week! :)

Thumbnail by Corsetiere Thumbnail by Corsetiere Thumbnail by Corsetiere
Cocoa Beach, FL(Zone 10a)

I took pictures of these rebloomers at the WKBG while visiting. The marker is so obviously wrong. I think it might be Constant Companion, I have no idea what the white one is.

Thumbnail by mittsy Thumbnail by mittsy Thumbnail by mittsy Thumbnail by mittsy Thumbnail by mittsy
Iowa City, IA(Zone 5a)

That does look like Constant Companion. Thanks for all the lovelies!

Lyndon, IL(Zone 5a)

Illini Repeater, from yesterday

Thumbnail by crowrita1
Waldron, AR

All of these rebloomers made a beautiful bouquet!

Thumbnail by joyfulirises
Lyndon, IL(Zone 5a)

They certainly do !!.........Arlyn

Otway, OH(Zone 6b)

Beautiful, my sister is cleaning out one of her beds so I put some in the ground today and will finish tomorrow. I also just put a Spirit of Memphis in the ground. Kathy

Lake Toxaway, NC(Zone 7a)

Can anyone tell me the best place to buy Siberian Irises? I think they would do well here and be a nice change from Bearded Irises. I understand they are pretty easy to grow.

South Hamilton, MA

Joe Pye Weed's garden in Carlisle MA. While they sell their new introductions, the lists also lists older plants & they give good advice about growing them. www.jpwflowers.com

This message was edited Jan 8, 2015 7:13 PM

Lake Toxaway, NC(Zone 7a)

Thanks iris in MA.

Las Cruces, NM(Zone 8a)

Here is what rebloomed for me last year: Silver Dividends rebloomed in both July/August. Daughter of Stars rebloomed in November and tried to rebloom in December but the bloom aborted because it got too cold a few nights. Glitter Repink tried to rebloom in December but the bloom also aborted due to the cold. I was a bit sad about this because it is a fairly new planting and I have never seen the flower. Hopefully it will produce blooms this Spring. Clarance seems on it's way to becoming a Continual bloomer for me. It rebloomed in October, tried to rebloom in December but the bloom aborted due to cold and now is currently reblooming. I am considering that it is reblooming right now because it is too early for it's regular bloom season based on past years. I am becoming fonder and fonder of the rebloomers. I do find sometimes the rebloomers look a bit different. For me, it's still the same flower but they don't always seem to come back with the same vigor the blooms had during the regular Spring bloom season. But I have admitted it a 100 times, I don't have the best soil and have not yet had time to build it up and so they may just be a bit nutrient starved or something.

Iowa City, IA(Zone 5a)

Yay winter blooms!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.