Display Problems?

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Is anyone else suddenly having previously normal posts appearing with HTML notations evident and links no longer functional? Lately, DG Admin has seen fit to have problems aired privately rather than on the DG Forum, so members can no longer view discussions of problems that arise. I have no idea if I am the only one experiencing this.

Silver Spring, MD(Zone 7a)

David, it seems like site discussions are now at at the DG Site Updates forum. I won't link it here, since links don't work now anyway. This is ridiculous.

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

started seeing some time after 8 pm last nite

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Here is the "Official" response when someone wanted to address an issue on the DG Site Updates forum:

"BajaBlue wrote:cite>Melody & Terri, Since this forum's name has changed, would you please put a sticky on how to report unusual or weird things noticed on DG ? THANKS ! (was unsure where to post this request)blockquote> We did you one better - at the top of the forum (above the threads) is a link to contact us with along with an explanation of the forum's purpose."

Said explanation of the forum's purpose:

"Learn about coming changes, enhancements or maintenance issues here! If you are experiencing a problem or have a site-related question, please use the Contact Us for one-on-one assistance."

Note the "one-on-one" designation. Apparently, problems are now to be kept out of sight (site) of the membership at large.

This message was edited Sep 27, 2014 7:52 AM

David, I gotta say, I'm annoyed that I gave them more of my money when I had to renew my membership in the spring. I don't mean to sound dramatic, but I won't be giving them another dime of my money. So I guess that means I'll be slowly making my transition over to the other site, unless DG changes to no-fee.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Not only did I notice it but I sent Terri a D-mail since I couldn't find a discussion or a place to start one about the problem and I never did get a response.
SSG, I visit both sites, but I doubt that I leave DG unless their membership fees went up.

Damascus, MD(Zone 7a)

I have been more off line than online in the past year, and missed most of the discussions. Would anybody please tell me what "the other site" you are all talking about?

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Links still don't work for me, and since DG Admin has now opted for non-transparency, I still have no idea if others are having the same problem. I too have not had any reply from Admin on the matter, and find the new official policy of secrecy a form of contempt for their customers. A pretty stunning lack of business acumen.

This message was edited Sep 26, 2014 8:47 AM

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Allthingsplants, which is the new site that Dave started.
https://allthingsplants.com/

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

David--

I gave been seeing the things for days now. It is all over my Posts--and other's.
I DO use "...." and "----" a lot. Just like my mind pauses--i type it the same ay.

I think it has something to do with these "pauses" in typing...

YES! ALl links poster are the same black as the type.
I suppose--one could always c/p it in one's URL and get to it that way.

Lots of messes going on!!! Hmmmm--wondering WHY?
Is it that leaving only 2 people (Terry and Melody) to deal with all the complaints
on DG that many things are just falling through the cracks???????

Just imagine--complaints coming fro ALL over the World--and 2 people have to attend to it.

G.

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

They have to deal with complaints individually now because recently the decision was made to become non-transparent on issues and remove the thread where people posted issues and DG Admin kept the entire community up to date on what was going on from their end. Now, no issues are shared information, and no one knows what problems have been reported and are being dealt with. Secrecy does not make the site problems go away, and the current Admin stance greatly adds to Member (Customer) frustration and alienation.

If they want to destroy the site as a cohesive community, they are doing all the right things. Paid subscriber-ship keeps falling while non-paid membership increases. I suspect that it will reach the point that the low paid subscriber-ship will be used to justify the discontinuance of the numerous forums accessible only to that tier. If paid membership is too low, there would be too few participants to keep the forums active, and this seems to already be occurring with some forums. If these higher tier forums are eliminated, there will be much less to be administrated and provide server capacity for. Perhaps this is their goal.

Damascus, MD(Zone 7a)

Thank you, Holly, for the link. SSG also kindly Dmailed me the link. I went over to take a quick look, and thought it was very nice. However, all the friends in this group will keep me here, unless we all decide to move over together, haha!

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

Quote from HollyAnnS :
Allthingsplants, which is the new site that Dave started.
https://allthingsplants.com/

When I hold my mouse pointer over the link Holly posted, it now says
Link added by VigLink

VigLink is basically an added piece of code that allows clicking on external links in our forums and any resultant sales from those clicks to be monetized to Daves Garden or Internet Brands. Even links within the DG site now go thru VigLink. This is new since the HTML mumbo jumbo code breaks.

Oh, so that's what broke the html code in the first place.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Quote from greenthumb99 :
They have to deal with complaints individually now because recently the decision was made to become non-transparent on issues and remove the thread where people posted issues and DG Admin kept the entire community up to date on what was going on from their end. Now, no issues are shared information, and no one knows what problems have been reported and are being dealt with. Secrecy does not make the site problems go away, and the current Admin stance greatly adds to Member (Customer) frustration and alienation.

If they want to destroy the site as a cohesive community, they are doing all the right things. Paid subscriber-ship keeps falling while non-paid membership increases. I suspect that it will reach the point that the low paid subscriber-ship will be used to justify the discontinuance of the numerous forums accessible only to that tier. If paid membership is too low, there would be too few participants to keep the forums active, and this seems to already be occurring with some forums. If these higher tier forums are eliminated, there will be much less to be administrated and provide server capacity for. Perhaps this is their goal.

You said this so well, much better than I would have.
What I liked about the open discussion on problems was that it was so easy when I had a problem I would just check out the forum and see that it was a problem that everyone was having and get all the info about the issue and not worry about it. Having everyone asking about it individually must be a real pain for our Admin people.
We have such a great group here in MidAt that I would hate to see it broken up.

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Holly, I agree that it would be sad if the Mid Atlantic group broke up. I cannot fathom why DG Admin has chosen the current policy of not having open discussion on site problems. If my inquiry to them is any indication, Admin did not respond at all. That is easier than responding to a thread and keeping everyone up to date, but the cost in terms of member trust and good will would seem to far outweigh that minimal effort.

Similarly, earlier this year changes were made to the site without sufficient beta testing and with no "heads up" to the members. A plethora of problems manifested that took weeks to fully de-bug resulting in widespread dissatisfaction. It doesn't take a MBA and a minor in public relations understand that these are not a good business practices. Are the "powers-that-be" really that clueless?

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

The DG Forum still exists...sort of...

Here... http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1374171/

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.