iris and tomato wilt

Kansas City (Joyce), MO(Zone 5a)

I have a raised bed that had tomatoes in it and they had tomato wilt I would like to put daylilies and iris in there, are iris or daylilies susceptible?

Thanks for your help.

Concord, NC

Hi Joyce,

I have Been Researching this for You, and as Tomato Wilt is caused by so many different problems, Fungal, Bacterial, and Viral forms of Disease, it is feasible that a few of these forms of Tomato wilt to my amazement Could Affect your Irises and Daylilies. About Three Years ago we dug up a large Cecil Houdyoshel Crimum Lily From off of a not so healthy looking clump that was 50 years old+ in an elderly gentleman's yard with his permission and it had Mosaic Virus and to our disbelief and shock it affected 4 varieties of Iris Cultivars and two Varieties of Daylilies the next year and So the Crinum and All affected Iris and Daylilies with the Mosaic Iris that causes white stipes on the leaves, had to be tossed to keep it from spreading to other plants. I too had never realized different kinds of Diseases could contaminate many different varieties of plants. I also have mad the assesment that Daylilies seem more succeptible to all three, Fungal leaf spot and rust diseases. Bacterial crown rot, and Viruses like Mosaic, than do Irises. But as a rule since I buy Iris and Dylilies from all over the Country, when I get them even if they look healthy, I soak them in 10 cups water with one cup bleach for 15 minutes and then rinse them off for 15 seconds under the tap and then dry and plant and rewater them after planting. I have reduced leafspot and crown rot loss by 90% :-) the last 3 years here in the Humid Southeast which is quite a feat. Sandra.

Kansas City (Joyce), MO(Zone 5a)

I want to thank you for your help and the research you did. It was very kind of you.

I also researched and researched and decide NOT to put anything in that bed. The more I researched the more confused I became and the more I convinced myself I think it is possible to spread the wilt. For the first time since I started gardening I got daylily rust. Really strange maybe a coincidence but I am doubting it. Funny it was only one daylily and I had two of the same name Dream Legacy in two different pots, not next to each other and they both got daylily rust. Now I had probably 20 others in pots and none of the other daylilys got rust.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.