help tomato wilt

Kansas City (Joyce), MO(Zone 5a)

I have a raised bed I would like to put daylilies in but I have just pulled tomato plants out of there that had tomato wilt. Will tomato wilt hurt the daylilies.

I would also like to put iris in there does any one know if the tomato wilt hurt the iris?

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

Happygarden, just amend the soil and the daylilies will be fine. I am no Iris expert, You didn't say what type. But as long as you plant them to the recommended depth I think that they should be fine also. Blomma hybridizes Irises. D-Mail her directly and she will glady respond. Mike

Thanks Mike, I researched and researched because I sure don't want to hurt my daylilies. I know some virus and dieases are transferable. daylilies.org didn't list wilt as a problem.

Thanks with the help on the iris.

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

Happygarden you are welcome. We want your garden to stay happy. LOL! Mike

Gardens not happ this year. lol I have had every disease and pests known to humanity this year...lol First time ever I took the raised bed, mixed in compost, put in posts and cattle panels, planted tomatoes, tied the up, removed suckers, you name it and what happens tomato wilt....really! Then it just kept going... Oh well always next year. right?

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

Happygarden, we gardeners live for "NEXT YEAR"!! LOL!!
Experts say that tomatoes should not be planted in the same location the following season. Hopefully the upcoming deep freeze will kill some of the nuisances in the garden and give you a clean slate for next spring. Mike

I figure I won't plant tomatoes there for a couple of years just to be safe. I had thought about using that bed for flowers for a while since I am not gardening in them.
Yeap we sure look to the futures... otherwise I would NOT garden at all...lol

Hamilton, OH(Zone 6a)

Joyce, I think your daylilies will be fine. The fungus that causes tomato wilt, isn't listed on the AHS website as a problem for daylilies. I would post you links but, DG will not let me. Lol I copied and pasted the web address for the AHS, this will take you to the dictionary. It's a great source of information.

The Daylily Dictionary: Daylily Rust
Daylily rust is caused by the fungus Puccinia hemerocallidis and affects the ... It is not a new disease of daylilies, having been reported previously in China, ...
www.daylilies.org/ahs_dictionary/daylily_rust.html

If you had a dry summer, you may not have a fungal problem. Tomato plants can get wilt from drought also.

Thank you and i did go there before asking on here. Just wwnted to make sure i was reading it correctly.

Went to some of the university sites and got confused. Just triple checking. I bad to destroy my brugs due to cross illness.

Hamilton, OH(Zone 6a)

No problem at all. It's always better to be safe than sorry.
Ouch! Sorry to hear of your Brugs. I hope your able to get some cuttings and start over. They are beautiful!

Cuttings of the brugs would be infected....so no. All gone.

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

Happygarden so sorry to hear about your Brugs. I only have one of two plant left. I gave away the larger one because it was too much for the basement. I have a pink one.

Thumbnail by HazelCrestMikeB

Mike they do get big and in zone 5 like you it gets tough. I just had a bad year, you name it but next year will be better...lol

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

Joyce, it will be!! It has to be!! LOL!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.