What do you think of this product? Would it be ok to use?

Canton, IL(Zone 5b)

I came across this online and would like to hear if you think it would be good to use in my African Violets.

This is it's description: Soil Moist has been developed to reduce the amount of water needed to maintain vigorous plants and other green goods. When mixed in the soil, the crystals will soften and swell as water is added and absorbed. When the potting system dries, the polymer will release its water to the plant. Soil Moist acts as a water reservoir--the stored water is released to the plant. The expansion and retraction of the polymer during the watering cycle helps soil aeration, which is important to all plants.

Note: Soil Moist must be incorporated into the soil at the root level of the plant/green good. Do not top dress or place on the surface.

Thumbnail by itsmesue
Northeast, MO(Zone 5b)

I have some of that lol!! When you water....that soil will SWELL UP QUICK (snicker) I've not had anyone tell me they use that for their A.V.s and I don't use it with mine. I've just tried it with some other houseplants and some outdoor plants with mixed emotions about it. I am afraid it might keep the soil too wet and cause root rot. You can always test it with an extra A.V. you don't care about in case it doesn't work. Most of us wick, mat or bottom water ours. Whatever the method, we keep our soil light for good drainage.

Hoping others will come on here and give their opinion on that product ::))

By the way...welcome to the A.V. forum ::))

Connie

(tish) near Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

No, it will keep violets too wet. It is also recommended NOT to use the potting soil that has that water absorber in it for potting violets. But that said, it might work for you..I suppose it could depend on what soil mix you use, how often you water and how quickly your plants dry out. If you try, I agree you should try on one plant first and see how it works.

tish

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.