Violet plant with no roots

Canton, IL(Zone 5b)

I got an African violet plant from someone on eBay. When I unwrapped it, the plant fell out of the pot and there are no roots on it. The leaves look healthy and the stems to the leaves look healthy.

How do I take care of the plant to get roots on it? Put in perlite? Put it in vermiculite? Put it in av potting mix? Or what?

I make my own av potting mix: one scoop good potting soil, two scoops perlite, two scoops vermiculite.

Just a bit of info, I have purchased many violets from eBay and have had great luck with all of them. This is the first one I have had any problems with.

Northeast, MO(Zone 5b)

Hey :)

Here is a great detailed "lesson" for you to read with pics to go with it. It will be on the same concept of your situation (no roots) but this is how I would try to "tell" you how to fix it. I am guessing it would just be the potting and care that you would follow. I doubt you need to cut the neck assuming it's a small one (no pics of yours).

http://www.violetbarn.com/lessons/restarting_violet.htm

I wish you luck with your new baby ::))

Connie

Canton, IL(Zone 5b)

Thank you, I have all the supplies to be able to do that. I'll try to keep you updated of how it works out. =)

Northeast, MO(Zone 5b)

Your welcome and please do give updates ::))

Connie

(tish) near Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

So I was just looking at posts and wondering how your plant is doing? Please give us an update.

tish

Northeast, MO(Zone 5b)

Thanks for posting on this Tish:) I was wondering about it myself lol

Canton, IL(Zone 5b)

Sorry for not giving and update before now. Have been a wild ruff year here.

The violet did not make it. It started to act like it was going to grow, but suddenly wilted and was dead.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.