Re-firing ceramic tile to reglaze with new coloring

Mesa, AZ

I'd like to ask some one with some kiln experience for some advice on painting ceramic tile and the glazing process. I want to custom paint some subway tiles for a kitchen backsplash. We started this by looking to buy tile to do the backsplash ourselves, but we haven't been able to find the coloring that my wife wants. She saw a backsplash on pinterest where there were slight color variations between each tile. The effect is beautiful. We are trying to acheive this affect and thought of two ways to .
1) Repainting over some commercial tile and reglazing it in a kiln.
2) Cutting ceramic clay into tiles. Painting them and then having them glazed in a kiln

#1 seems viable and may reduce effort and costs, but I admit I just thought up this scenario and am not sure if it would work. Is this possible? Any considerations?

This thread has 5 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!