I have never seen this before

Starkville, MS(Zone 8a)

A Celadine has been in bloom for approximately a month and now the inflorescence is growing a tip below the branching inflorescence stem and on the inflorescence's main stem. I have grown plumeria for almost 30 years and have never seen that happen. What do I do with this inflorescence-growing-tip? Common sense tells me that the tip/branch will be far too heavy (when it grows longer) for the inflorescence to support it. But I have never heard of anyone cutting an inflorescence and rooting it. It is now too late to do any cutting/rooting (I am in NE Mississippi), so if cutting the inflorescence and rooting it is what's needed, I would do it next spring.

Ken

Thumbnail by drdawg43 Thumbnail by drdawg43 Thumbnail by drdawg43
Yuma, AZ(Zone 10a)

Hi Ken,your inflow will become a branch and in time may flower again.Took some pictures last night for example, an old inflow now a branch on a Musk Rainbow from Australia and one from this year on pan pee from Thailand.I have seen this many times and didn't realize it was so uncommon.

Mike

Thumbnail by sonorarat Thumbnail by sonorarat
Starkville, MS(Zone 8a)

Thanks, Mike. Perhaps it is not unusual. I just have never seen this before. That tip continues to grow and is now approximately 5" long with three leaves. The stalk is still putting out lots of buds/flowers as well. I am just going to leave it alone and see what that stalk does as the tip continues to grow. It won't be long before all my plumeria will begin going dormant. We are supposed to get some pretty cold temperatures this weekend, down to 48-50 F.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.