Butterfly identification

Dacula, GA(Zone 7b)

They are probably some very common butterflies but I am not equipped enough knowledge to identify those.

Thumbnail by labchef Thumbnail by labchef Thumbnail by labchef
Barling, AR(Zone 7b)

Really nice images.
First BF is Speyeria cybele - Great Spangled Fritillary
Second is Limenitis arthemis astyanax - Red-spotted Purple
Third is Phoebis sennae - Cloudless Sulphur

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Beauties!

Anna, IL(Zone 6b)

Here I am at Dave's Garden asking for help in identifying this butterfly. I thought it was a Western Tiger Swallowtail, but that would be a rare butterfly for here in central U.S.. It was taking nectar from the Joe Pye Weed when I took the photo. Can you help me identify the butterfly-for certain?

Thumbnail by brendak654
Anna, IL(Zone 6b)

Would I be safe to say these are a pair of Tiger Swallowtails?

Thumbnail by brendak654
Anna, IL(Zone 6b)

Need help with one more - THANK YOU! This photo was taken at an odd angle, and I'm having trouble identifying it also.

Thumbnail by brendak654
Barling, AR(Zone 7b)

Image no.1 is an Eastern Tiger Swallowtail female; the yellow form, note all the blue which is typical of the female.
Image no. 2 is Eastern Tiger Swallowtails. The yellow specimen is the male and the black one is a "Dark form" female''.
Image no. 3 is a Black Swallowtail. The small spot just above the row of seven orange spots on the hindwing is diagnostic.

Anna, IL(Zone 6b)

THANK YOU!

Barling, AR(Zone 7b)

and Thank You for brightening my gloomy wintery day with beautiful butterflies and flowers.

Anna, IL(Zone 6b)

A few more just to brighten your day...........

The butterflies are only mine for a little while, but the flowers linger until frost.

Thumbnail by brendak654 Thumbnail by brendak654 Thumbnail by brendak654 Thumbnail by brendak654 Thumbnail by brendak654
Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

All butterflies are only ours for a short time. I guess that is why we capture them in pictures. Lovely shots of them all. I think that the fourth on this post is a Viceroy? I haven't seen one in person.

Barling, AR(Zone 7b)

Sheila, there should be Viceroys near wet areas with willows somewhere in TX during the summer. Happy Butterflying.

Anna, IL(Zone 6b)

Yes, I took that one to be Viceroy - also.

Thanks.

Anna, IL(Zone 6b)

I'm guessing this is a black swallowtail cat? Not really sure.......

Thumbnail by brendak654 Thumbnail by brendak654
Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

If that is Parsley the cat is on besides a good pic , it is ,, I have not seen any here this year ,, My first swallowtail at all this season ,today

Thumbnail by juhur7
Anna, IL(Zone 6b)

Here are more of what I have seen the last few days.

Thumbnail by brendak654 Thumbnail by brendak654 Thumbnail by brendak654 Thumbnail by brendak654
Downingtown, PA

Wonderful posting. This year I have not caught a butterfly in a photo, but maybe later.

Anna, IL(Zone 6b)

I'm seeing more in the last couple of weeks. Just saw a black swollowtail fly past the window.

Anna, IL(Zone 6b)

I'm sure I could get some good shots of butterflies right now as they like to hang out in my zinnias. Look what else I found hanging out in the my zinnias a day or two ago. I think this kind of eating doesn't take as much energy. This bird likes to sit and eat.

Thumbnail by brendak654

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.