Is this Euphorbia milii?

Oviedo, FL(Zone 9b)

I didn't read the entry card on this plant at the Cactus and Succulent Show in Wakefield, MA on Saturday. I love it. I have a variegated E. milii but it doesn't look exactly like this one.
I will be posting to a cactus friend's website also, but wondered if any one here knew. There are so many euphorbias!
Martha

Thumbnail by gardenmart
Baja California, Mexico(Zone 11)

Looks like one to me. There are lots of varieties and hundreds of hybrids so it could very well look different from your other plant.

Oviedo, FL(Zone 9b)

mine is a more ordinary and compact form which is why I ask about this one. See the picture. And it came labeled.
Martha

This message was edited Sep 15, 2014 10:46 PM

Thumbnail by gardenmart

I can't say if either plant is true E. milii (species) and not a hybrid, but the variation is totally within range for the crown of thorns. I have observed the differences in branching behavior which account for the two body styles. Some plants only branch at the base and others rebranch higher up. Both styles can look great.

Oviedo, FL(Zone 9b)

I am fairly certain my E. milii is a farily common hybrid since I bought it at a supermarket. Those plants likely come from huge wholesale growers. The first one was on display at a Cactus Society Show and could be an unusual hybrid since the people showing their plants are big time cacto-philiacs and only the most unusual or beautifully grown win the prizes.
Martha

It is extremely variegated (presumably that makes it rare) and in a very small pot (by my standards anyway). Obviously no harm done by that. I am surprised they don't frown on the weeds growing out underneath.

Oviedo, FL(Zone 9b)

Yeah, I kinda wondered at the blue and I believe those are bits of sedum in the base there. I would have taken them out. In regular flower shows, it's not acceptable for an individual plant entry to have different kinds of plants, however good or bad they look, in the same pot. This was a Cactus and Succulent Society show and obviously, they have different standards. I would have trimmed the sedum at the very least.
I still adore this E. milii though.
Martha

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.