Have your Hummingbirds left for migration yet?

Natick, MA

I'm not seeing my hummingbirds and wonder if they have left to go south....I'm on the Cape in Mass. Anyone?

I still have the feeder up and the yellow jackets are having a field day, but dont want to take it in if the hummers are still around and I just havent caught their visits lately.

Thomaston, CT

I had hummers all this week, but raining today, so none around.

Natick, MA

Thanx robin

Thomaston, CT

Welcome.....hoping I'll see more today now that the weather has cleared....still many annuals blooming, so maybe that's what's keeping them here.

Thomaston, CT

A hummer perched on my apple tree while I was in the yard with the dog yesterday.....I'm thinking it will be the last for this summer......

Natick, MA

So sad to see them go....I have so enjoyed them this summer.
Working on more flowers to attract them next year!

Thomaston, CT

I was surprised to see them in my zinnias since they aren't tubular flowers.......I do see them on my fuchsia & salvia, glads & they love the butterfly bush.....I only had 2 blooms on the bush this year, because 99% of it was cut down, but I'm hoping it will survive this winter....

Natick, MA

Robin,
Do you cut your butterfly bush down each year (late fall/early spring)? I read you're supposed to do this; just found out one of the bushes in my front garden is a butterfly bush and I had ordered 2 for the back....I obviously never touched it (cut it) and it really was nice with blooms this summer.

Thomaston, CT

Yes, Val, I do cut the bush down every year to about 2', because it blooms on new wood...however, butterfly bush is marginal where I live & after many nights of zero & below, the bush was just about dead.....I had my son cut all the trunks down, but there was one live shoot that he left.....it bloomed! I'm hoping it will survive this winter, but that depends on the temps.......

Natick, MA

I heard they were pretty hardy. I'll cross my fingers for you!
If it doesn't, I'd be happy to send cuttings of mine if you want to go that route!

Thomaston, CT

Thanks! I appreciate that.....I live in the southern Berkshires, so it's always colder here than in central or eastern CT.

Natick, MA

It was 41 degrees here this morning....brrrrrr....but warmed up nicely.
Are you still seeing yr hummingbirds?

Thomaston, CT

Chilly here as well in the morning....no, Val, not one hummer has been around since the one on my apple tree......swallows are gone, too....

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.