Resent daylily from (Spunky)

Des Moines, IA(Zone 5a)

I had a daylily go bad this spring and Fred (Spunky) replaced it, I have bought several daylilies from Fred & have never had one go bad. This spring I lost it just after I bought it & not only did Fred replace it but he sent a triple fan of it. I had another grower in Florida That I paid $225.00 for a single fan went bad & they told me that's all of that they had of it & I never heard from them again. There are some growers that will stand behind what they sell. Thanks SPUNKY

Portsmouth, VA(Zone 8a)

Spunky is very good seller, I do not think I would buy from the guy with the single fan. Did you buy it from LA? Please tell Mike Longo and he will make the seller do the right thing.(that is a lot of money). I know of one that does that to a lot of people. Email me and tell me who it is please. This particular seller was sending sickly plants because they were not true to name so he was hoping they would die, he thinks if it dies it is your fault, plus you will not know the plant was not true. He buys cheap stuff on the LA even sells seed crosses that are untrue, he sold my friend some seeds that did not germinate thinking the buyer would blame her self and not know they were not true. Mike made him give her a refund and this was for seeds she had purchased six months earlier.

Susan

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

Susan, please dmail me the name of that seller please. I wouldn't want to buy from them.

As to seeds, it is hit and miss. There is no way of telling if a seed will germinate or not and no way of knowing how the buyer is trying to germinate the seeds. They could indeed have caused the seeds to not germinate themselves. One year I decided to sell some seeds that were 3 years old. Never again. A lot of them wouldn't germinate and I ended up refunding most of them or trying to replace with similar seeds. I still have a lot of seeds left from 2013 and I am not sure what I am going to do with them.

Portsmouth, VA(Zone 8a)

Yes, I will D-mail you, but this particular seller got his start on eBay and was purposely selling bad seeds because the buyer protection was only 90 days and once you leave feedback you cannot change it. By the time people found out the seeds were not good to name it was too late to do anything. He does sell old seeds and sick plants. He sells crosses that do not exhist.
A friend on ATP ordered a daylily from him and asked that he not send it during a particular week because she would be on vacation, and that is when he sent it, hoping it would sit on their steps or in her mailbox for a whole week. But her grandson was staying there and she instructed him to open the package and it was a dead daylily, the grandson was instructed on how to plant it but it was no use. He was going to blame her for the dead plant but it was already dead when it arrived, I do not know if she contacted ML but I did encourage her to.

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

If it arrive in bad shape the best thing to do is contact the seller and send it back, unless the seller instruct you otherwise while sending a replacement or a refund. For that kind of money I would only buy from a reputable seller that stand behind their product.

Cindy,
I have sprouted both DL and iris seeds that are 3 years old without loss. DL seeds I sprout with Deno method. If airdried and stored in the crisper, there is no reason why they should not be viable. It may take longer for some to sprout since they are probably deeper in dormancy than fresher seeds. Certainly your 2013 seeds are fine. Why not give them as bonus seeds.

Most often it isn't that the seeds are not viable (if stored properly) more often it is the way they are sown since most perennials require some stratification (moist cold) If seeds were that delicate, we would not have a green earth. Mother Nature will not allow seeds to sprout if their needs are not met to assure their survival.

In 2010 I tested many of my old perennial seeds when I discovered the Deno method. The seeds were from 2004 and 2005, stored in my shed in plastic bags. It gets hot there in the summer. I had forgotten about the seeds. Anyway, my hardy Hibiscus seeds I had trouble sprouting when fresh. They sprouted in 5 days after an overnight soak, and Deno. I would say that all the seed were at least 75-80% viable and sprouted fine.

Seeds that are either mine or those I buy I don't necessarily sprout the same year I get them. The collection of 50 seeds I bought from you last year, I will sow this year without a problem.

I have purchased seeds that didn't sprout, or 1 out of 3 sprouted. Some seeds look fine but are not. Not the sellers fault. I have also had seeds that took 4 months in the fridge before sprouting with the Deno method. I never sow all seeds at the same time, just incase. The second time they do sprout.

Just my 2 cents worth

Portsmouth, VA(Zone 8a)

Mike,

She is a reputable seller but did not stand behind her product. He did contact her and she did not give him new plant or offer to give a refund. Maybe she has gotten too big for her plants. LOL.

blomma,

Thank you for your two cents, I am taking notes!

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

Susan, as I have said before, you are funny. Got the Trimmer catalog yesterday. They have some nice intro for 2015.
trimmerdaylily.com
I am definitely going to start some seeds late winter indoors. Didn't do any this past winter/spring.

Portsmouth, VA(Zone 8a)

Mike, have you become an enabler or did I miss something somewhere. I could not get your link to work but here is one for you, just in case you have an extra 2700 laying around. If you buy the whole collection you get a discount of 500 dollars and 500 gray hairs. LOL.

http://www.peteharrydaylilies.com/price_lists/newest_intros.htm

None for me, thanks! I have enough to do as I finish planting what I bought last spring. LOL.

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

Lilly, I imagine that is true what you say about sprouting daylily seeds. But try telling that to your customers. You have no way of knowing how they are doing it and then if it doesn't work for them they complain.

Cindy, I know what you mean, but. I have had no complaints during the 5 years that I have been selling seeds.

After payment I send sprouting information to their inbox complete with photos as attachment. It is stated in my listings to encourage buying without fear of failing. I do likewise with iris seeds. It seems to make them happy.

Have you noticed a low on selling this season? Even Ebay is slow.

Portsmouth, VA(Zone 8a)

Sounds great blomma, what kind of seeds do you have?

Susan I sell handpollinated iris and daylily seeds from known parents.

This message was edited Oct 30, 2014 10:57 PM

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

Susan, I have enough gray hair already. I am 100% sure it's more than 500. LOL!! You were right about that link. That was the link in the catalog. I guess that they haven't updated their subscription to the rights. Pete Harry bought out Frank Smith, they have some beautiful daylilies. Frank's daylilies does well here. Two of them currently still have buds on them. Caesar's Head definitely does not like the cold nipping at the rebloom scape. Dragon Knife is fearing better in the opening dept. LOL!

Portsmouth, VA(Zone 8a)

Oh, I don't know anything about either one of them. I was just showing blomma what a collection was and how crazy the prices can get.
I had a lot on buds of the stuff I got from Maryott's but I cut them off because the first year I got daylilies from him I let them bloom (because it was my first year, I was all excited) but they did not bloom at all the next year.

Someone once said that the evergreens only bloom good every other year because they have no dormancy to recharge they seem to take a vacation from blooming. LOL.
It has been that way for me too, The Floyd Cove daylilies were blooming machines last year and the same plants did almost nothing this year, I have high hopes for next year though!

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

Fingers crossed girl!! LOL!!

Thanks Susan, but no thanks. Like Mike, I have enough gray hairs also. No plant is worth that many $'s in my book unless you are rich.

I do not buy evergreens, only semi and dormants. I have HAPPY HALLOWEEN, TRAHLYTA, JITTERBUG BLUES, PACIFIC PEARL that have not bloomed since I bought them on LA Spring of 2012. They were SF's. INDIAN GIVER was purchased the same year as a SF. I replanted it in a different spot. Lord Behold, it suddenly produced buds and bloomed late summer. Next year, I will replant those that have not bloomed to see if that triggers the onset of buds.

Susan and I have tossed around how to tell DOR, SEV, and EV's since many maybe wrongly id their foliage type. See link

http://pick-a-lily.squarespace.com/daylily-blog/category/all-about-daylilies

It is regarding how foliage acts. But I have daylilies that act as all 3 different foliage types, yet are not EV.

A few have dead leaves, others some, etc. and all get the same treatment. Some are growing side-by-side and behaving differently. Also some that have not a dead leaf to its name et is a Dor. I wonder how much truth there is in that article.

If you cross a Dor with a Ev, what would it be? A Dev? Have to consider all previous crossing of genes over decades?

Can behavior of the foliage give the answer?

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

Seed selling is down I think Lilly, although it usually picks up after the holidays are all over.

Portsmouth, VA(Zone 8a)

I am never spending that much for a daylily, especially not with all the problems I am having with rot and rust. I have decided to stick with the evergreen extended bloomers since the bud counts are exaggerated, IMO.

Most people think that if you cross a Dor with a Ev you get a SEV but a lot of the time the plant does not do that, it takes after one parent or the other. I have purchased dozens of evergreens and SEV that had a dormant habit. My problem is that they automatically register them as SEV and they are not. They need to be evaluated honestly and stop assuming and exaggerating. Thanks for the link!

I have heard about the foliage behavior but all my evergreens went dormant last winter, there was no foliage to be found anywhere. LOL. The only thing that seems to give them away is the low bud count, Like Cherry Ice Cream Smile, it did not have 35 buds, it had two and the plant itself keep shrinking. It was the size of a seedling when I mailed it up north. It was a massive double fan when I planted it. The evergreens are the opposite they DO grow over the winter but only the roots grow, I am always shocked to see the massive root when I dig one up. 'Bottle Rocket', a true evergreen went from two fans to seven fans in one year. LOL.

So for me it is a lack of blooms that gives it away, if the dormants do not get a good cold spell they cannot regenerate.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.