(Zone 4b)

Starting to show its stuff. I love this clematis...especially given that it is fall

Thumbnail by rouge21
Williamstown, NJ(Zone 6b)

It smells great, looks great, but in some areas like here in NJ, it grows wild and spreads all over the place. I can pull it out fast enough from the woods to keep it from spreading all over my yard.

(Zone 4b)

Where I am the sometimes more severe winter keeps it in check.

(And I find it isn't as vigorous as the similar "Paul Farges" aka "Summer Snow").

Can I pull up all of it from here and ship it to you then...lol
I was so surprised to find a garden center selling it a few years ago. They did not do it again...lol

(Pam) Warren, CT(Zone 5b)

Oh oh, I just planted Paul. I know about SAC, had it years ago elsewhere and saw how it seeds... Does Paul do that too?

(Zone 4b)

Pam, it has been my experience that 'Paul' is much more vigorous than SAC. I found it difficult to keep "Summer Snow" upright on the wall of our home due to its weight and it was getting hard to keep with its growth...always adding support. As well it was a major chore removing all of it each spring after cutting it back as it got so intertwined with the support wires. I had two SAC and I eventually, albeit reluctantly removed both. But it did take a lotI of digging!

Can you give us an idea where you have planted your 'Paul'?

It's planted in a pocket of a rocky slope we call the Falling Down Wall. This section is supposed to be a White Garden, but success has been hit and miss. I'm hoping it will climb to the top, softening the bird bath supports and the Creeping Eonymus stems. I just planted it in July. Although it didn't bloom this year it put on good growth, so I have hopes for next year.

Thumbnail by Pfg Thumbnail by Pfg
(Zone 4b)

Pam, that is a wonderful looking spot...interesting textures of the plants I see and I love the slope...lots of possibilities.

So you are hoping that this "Summer Snow" spreads laterally...like a ground cover?

No, it's going up. It's planted at the base of thebirdbath, and is working its way up the old brown stems of the Eonymus. The bleeding heart foliage is coming from the same pocket.- hard to distinguish, I know. Can you see the Clem foliage in this closeup?

Thumbnail by Pfg
(Zone 4b)

I do see it now. It is a great late summer bloomer. Please post pictures next August.

Kansas City (Joyce), MO(Zone 5a)

Last year I cut it down right after blooming before setting bloom and no volunteers this year. Don't know if it was just dumb luck or if it worked.

Natick, MA

Does this clematis tend to spread seed almost invasively? I'm in zone 6. I just dont want it "taking over".

Athens, PA

Val -

Yes, SAC will seed all over. My neighbor grows it and I find seedlings in my yard every summer.

I hate it with a passion. It grows here all over. I keep pulling it up and killing it with complete kill. It is now growing wild in the woods. I cant keep up.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.