Please help identify this flower

Puerto Vallarta, Mexico

This plant is growing in a garden near Puerto Vallarta, on the west coast of Mexico. I've lived here 14 years, and have never seen it in the wild. It's the most stunning shade of orange, and seems so delicate. Can you help me identify it so I can ask the local nursery if I can get more? Thanks so much.

Thumbnail by leegleze
Puerto Vallarta, Mexico

Wow! That was quick. Thank you so much! (Now, I have to figure out what they call it in Spanish .... ahh jeeeezzz.)

Colima, Mexico(Zone 11)

This plant is native to India and it is not listed as a plant introduced to Mexico. Your viveros in PV may be somewhat more sophisticated than the ones here in Colima. It is a beautiful plant and you might have to order seeds. There are a number of seed vendors on the internet that offer this genus species. Seedvendor.com has 100 seeds for $4 USD and ships worldwide, is one example...but i see these seeds available at a number of sites. Or, you might return to the garden where you found it locally and ask for seeds or a cutting. Or, you might take your photo in to the vivero and show it to someone there. I think it does not have a long history in Mexico and so i suspect that if it were in a vivero here somewhere it might be called a "crossandra" but you would want to have a photo with you to back that up. Happy hunting!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.