New Babies as Fall Approaches?

Aurora, CO(Zone 4a)

Being fairly new to backyard birding, I'm noticing the changes in plumage that are occurring as the weather gets cooler. We're especially fond of our male finches. After watching one of them perform a spectacular mating dance last spring (all captured on film), we began watching the young ones arrive and grow and learn to fly. We began referring to this male finch as Red, and his sons as Red Jr. In the last couple of weeks, after seeing very few male finches, I saw one that looked almost haggard. Then we saw that he was always in the company of a tiny female finch. Then, when we saw Red up on a utility line, teaching Red Jr. to fly (out of focus but too adorable not to include) we surmised that a new brood had arrived. Anyone familiar with finch behavior might be able to tell me if this normal - to see babies so close to the time when snow might fly.

Thumbnail by wingwoman Thumbnail by wingwoman Thumbnail by wingwoman Thumbnail by wingwoman Thumbnail by wingwoman
(Zone 5a)

Yes, this can happen and it is normal. We had fledglings mid-September last year. Birds are made to survive cold conditions. Today, I saw begging Chipping Sparrows, which seems later than normal, but if there is food and protection, they'll do ok.

Aurora, CO(Zone 4a)

Good to know. My chickadees aren't a worry to me, as I'll be keeping suet out for them, and now I know that any Red Juniors are pretty likely to survive the winter. And of course I'll make sure they have food. Thanks!

Algonquin, IL(Zone 5a)

Cute pics!
It's most common with birds that won't be migrating. If they stay in an area year-round, the offspring can have a longer time to mature. For us, the latest nesters are Goldfinches. They nest so late it used to surprise me, but, of course, now I'm used to it.

We feed the birds all year and I leave most of the seed-heads standing after flower blooms are finished to give the seed-eaters more to munch on. Some of their favorites are Coneflowers, Black-eyed Susans & Agastache, but they'll eat the seeds from lots of others, as well.

Aurora, CO(Zone 4a)

Thanks for that info. I need to start thinking about my garden now, so these tips will be helpful. I've seen parents up on the wires with their babies a few times, and I always wonder how they get them up there in the first place. Have never gotten to view that part of the drama!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.