2001 B&D Contest winners!

The judges (Zanymuse, Horseshoe, and myself) of the Dave's Garden Brugmansia and Datura Photo Contest, 2001 have finally concluded with the results of the contest.

17 members competed with a total of 93 images entered, and selecting winners among these prized photographs turned out to be a most formidable challenge.

After careful consideration and lengthy discussions, however, we unanimously agreed on the 3 winners.

Best Brugmansia: Brugie's Versicolor Orange (http://davesgarden.com/brugcontest/viewentry.php?imageid=30 )

The explosion of color and the sheer size and quantity of blooms make this picture stand out as the prime reason to grow Brugmansias in your own garden or on your own patio. I challenge any gardener to gaze upon this Brugmansia and NOT be convinced to try a few next season.

Best Datura: snowhermit's Pinwheel Datura (http://davesgarden.com/brugcontest/viewentry.php?imageid=36 )

The simplicity and geometic perfection of this bloom, resting comfortably atop a plant of diminutive size, peaked the curiosity of all the judges. The colors are striking, while the shape is among the most interesting of any Datura we've seen. We believe that every gardener, once they see this picture, will want to add the Pinwheel Datura to their collection.

Best Overall: Brugie's Dr. Suess (http://davesgarden.com/brugcontest/viewentry.php?imageid=35 )

There is a harmony to this overall picture, with the specimen in full bloom, the change of colors by the flowers and foliage planted around the base of the plant, and the scenery all around it. What the observer views up close in the front of the picture makes us feel as if we were standing right there in the yard of a country house. Of all the entries in this contest, we found this picture to be the single most inspiring image of a Brugmansia or Datura in a landscape setting.

Brugie and snowhermit will each receive a nice award plaque (furnished by Zanymuse), each for their respective awards. Brugie will also receive a Dave's Garden coffee mug (furnished by DG) for the "Best Overall" award.

I cannot stress enough how difficult this decision was. Each and every picture was special, and segregating one winner from the best was as difficult as finding the best tulip in a field in Holland. I'd like to thank each and every one of our participants for making this such an enjoyable exercise.

Dave, Zany, and Shoe.

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

woohoo!!! way to go girls! congrats and I know it was hard for the judges, but I think you did an excellent job of picking great reps of what we love.

Westbrook, ME(Zone 5a)

Wooo Hooo!! Congratulations Snow & Brugie!!! Gorgeous plants!!

FSH, TX

Outstanding pictures indeed!!!

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

Wowie!!! Gorgeous images and beautiful plants, ya'll!
A hearty congrats to all 17 participants and kudos to the judges; tough decisions, I'm sure!

Cedar Key, FL(Zone 9a)

WOW !!Awesome!!I agree with the judges!!!

(Zone 6a)

I can see where those entries would be difficult to beat.

Congratulations to all the winners, and many thanks for the beautiful entries from the runnersup also.

Owen

Deep South Coastal, TX(Zone 10a)

Awesome!! I totally agree.

Longview, TX

congrats to the winners!

Congrats winners!!!

North Vancouver, BC(Zone 8b)

Well deserved! Congratulations!
Liz

Cape May Court House, NJ(Zone 7a)

Oh good choices Dave and Co., geez what a terrible job to have to choose!

Congrat's girls the pic's are fantastic!!!!!!!!
sue

This message was edited Wednesday, Nov 14th 5:58 PM

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

Hey Everyone,

I was so thrilled to win and thank you all for putting up with me on the brug. and friends and other forums. Thanks for your kind words and I just have to say that "you are all the best". Congrats. to Snow on the pinwheel datura picture. It is such a beauty. Now, it is on to another year of growing brugs. Can't wait to see what everyone comes up with next year. Thanks again.

Shirley

Saint Petersburg, FL(Zone 9b)

Congrats to the winners and thanks to the judges.
Pete

WOW!!!! Congratulations to WINNERS and JUDGES!!!!! vic

Milton, FL(Zone 8a)

What an inspiration!

(Zone 8a)

Congrats to all! I almost picked the winner!!! Second is great!

Franktown, CO(Zone 5a)

Congrats you two. What wonderful pictures!

Gilmer, TX

Congratulations to all. This really gives us all something to aspire to.

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

Me Again!!

Earlier I told my hubby about this and said that my chest was starting to puff out. Well, now my head is starting to swell with all the nice comments. You are all so nice. Hope this doesn't go so far that my head explodes!! :-)

S.

Woodsville, NH(Zone 4a)

Thank you everyone. I'm so excited. There were so many beautiful pictures that I feel very honored to have won.I would'nt have wanted to be in the judges shoes.It must have been very hard to pick just three pictures out of them all since they were all winners in my book. Congratulations Brugie on two great pictures.Hope you grow many more beautiful Brugs next year.

Northern Piedmont, NC(Zone 7b)

Congrats Brugie and Snow!!!!!!!

Jean

Jonesboro, GA(Zone 7b)

Wonderful choices! Congrats to all.

Woodstock, ON(Zone 6B)

Wow pictures, I'm drooling. What a hard decision but well deserved.

/Regards Annie

Congrats, Brugie and Snowhermit, both your pictures were gorgeous.

Gulfport, MS(Zone 8a)

Congrats to both : )
i can only hope my versicolor orange looks like brugies next year!!!
jen

Westbrook, ME(Zone 5a)

Brugie, How old is that versi-orange in that picture? I can't get over all those flowers!

East Prairie, MO(Zone 7a)

Congradulation to you both and to think Brugs you were the one for getting me hook on the Brugs. I hope I can grow beautiful brugs like you. Will be asking for a lot of advice. If mine will come out half as beautiful I will be happy. Sami

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

Poppysue,

That brug was a first year cutting. What I mean is that it was cut from a plant the fall before (1 year ago now) and rooted. Then held dormant over the winter and brought out to grow in the spring. I liked that one because it didn't get really big, but bloomed very well and the fragrance could be noticed all day lightly, as well as stong in the evening. I would like the blooms to hold a little longer, but with the heat we had last year I felt good to see them 3-5 days.

S.

Newport, OR(Zone 5a)

WOW! Who knew. I've never seen any Brugmansia's like that before. I guess I am really naive when it comes to what's out there. I'm inspired to try some come spring. To think I was impressed with the Datura I grew for the first time this year, even tho they did resemble the roadside version. On to higher things. Thanks for the inspirition!

Westbrook, ME(Zone 5a)

Wow!! If any of my cuttings look like that next year I'll be in heaven.

Ewing, KY(Zone 6a)

Congratulations to the winners I am glad I wasn't a judge I could never have decided all the entries where beautiful.

(Zone 5a)

Congradulations to all the winners and I am sorry I wasn't here when the discussion was made but better late than never.
Like Snowhermit said it was tough with all the beautiful pictures that was submitted, my hat's off to the judges.

Snowhermit you just have to trade some of them seeds with me, that is a beautiful picture.

Burgie what can I say except that am so happy for you, it is a lovely plant and makes me want to try one or two.

Dr Suess congrats it is a lovely plant, just keep your eye on it because the Wind just might slip around at night and swip it lol.

Now I would love to ask for your kind permission to use your picture in my jigsaw program and as wallpaper, I promise I will not alter nor take credit for any of the plants or photos. If the answer is no then I will understand and there will be no hard feelings.

Again Congratulations to all we are so proud of you.
Of course I will be bragging to my friends and family about the winner's here.

Newcastle, ON(Zone 5a)

I would also like to add my congratulations to the winners..
I am intrigued by these plants..and wonder if they are available here in Ontario Canada. I will ask my favorite nursery next spring if they have any to purchase.
Cheers .... hip hip hooray to you all!
Carol

Bodrum, Turkey(Zone 10a)

Congratulations to both of our winners.
I absolutely love the datura, snowhermint, did you save seeds from that? Would love to trade for some.

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

Windsurffer,

You can certainly use my pictures if they are the ones you were referring to. Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner.

S.

Woodstock, ON(Zone 6B)

Starzz
I am from Woodstock, Ontario and they are becoming quite popular in our area. Several nurseries now have the common brugs. Please feel free to e-mail me to see if you would like to trade. I am out of cuttings now but will help you in the spring.
/Regards Annie

Newcastle, ON(Zone 5a)

OrphanAnnie..how lovely of you to offer a trade. I'm not sure if I will have anything you need but we will get in touch in the spring. Nice to see another Canadian here..it is difficult to trade or SASE to people in the U.S.
I notice you haven't been here long..so a big welcome to you too!

Woodsville, NH(Zone 4a)

Wind, Feel free to use mine also if you would like. I find it a great compliment for someone to want to use my pics and have given permission to several that have asked.

Toadsuck, TX(Zone 7a)

..don't know how I missed this..But Brugie and Snow...fantastic work!!!!

"eyes"

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.