Plant zukes now?

Burleson, TX(Zone 8a)

I just read a conversation on FB saying it's not too late to plant a fall garden, including zukes. Your opinion, please.

I'm very interested, because I totally nuked my squash last Saturday. Yep, in a hurry and grabbed the wrong sprayer. Just hate it when that happens! I pulled all squash out so the weed killer wouldn't get into the soil. Wasn't too sad, because my plants seemed about done, anyway.

I would so plant some more.

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

Most years if you replant this late it is hard on them and they dont do well unless you are in a greenhouse to control conditions. Hard to tell the future of this coming winter, but since summer kept slammin cold spells at us, you might get them large enuff to not finish setting fruit.Best way is to try tho- and WRITE DOWN what you do and WHEN ..

Burleson, TX(Zone 8a)

Thanks, Kitt.

Liberty Hill, TX(Zone 8a)

I would give it a try. Zukes have a DTM of abt 50 to 55 days so you should get some zukes. My plant out schedule says you have until Sept 10th to sow seeds. Summer squash grow really fast and you don't have much to lose but a few seeds.

I just sowed some winter squash about a month ago and due to the heat they germinate fast and are growing fast. It's about the same time I sow them every year and their DTM is twice as long as summer squash.

Burleson, TX(Zone 8a)

Thanks, 1lisac, but I think I'm opting to forego more planting right now. I could use a break from the constant watering. Next summer I plan to get some veg seed started early, so they'll be up and ready to go into the ground in plenty of time for a long bearing time.

Jones Creek, TX(Zone 9a)

It depends on where you live. I am right on the coast so I can still plant a lot of stuff and maybe get a pretty good harvest. I think this year will be different as I am figuring we just may have an early winter and maybe another hard one like last year. I am still planting Cucumbers and Squash as well as peas just in the outside chance I will get a few. Of course my Cauliflower, broccoli and cabbage are already planted just not up yet. So we will see how things go in the next month. But I think it's worth a chance. what have you got to lose??

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.