September 2014 Autumnal Equinox Coming Soon

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

How's this pic Will?

Thumbnail by greenbrain
Kansas City (Joyce), MO(Zone 5a)

I love those big ole garden spiders...lol Mine came out early this year I thought. Which makes me worry about an early fall.
Your produce just is the most beautiful gb. How does your garden grow? Do you use natural fertilizer, like the bunny stuff? I now have a big pile of compost from the chickens. I started using it on the flowers this year. I am afraid it is not cooked down enough, but I turn it using the tractor bucket and started it last year.

Well we finally got rain yesterday and super dark this morning so I am guessing we will get more. It is cool so far with the wind blowing. Wind won't blow when it is upper 90's, just when it is already cool....lol

I planted daylilies yesterday was hoping to get them in and watered really well with the rain. Wish I would of gotten more planted. I have some shrubs to get in the ground

I got up this am and went to a garage sale already. I bought another garden gate, so that makes 3 but they will be good trellises for my vines. Came home and thought I will make myself breakfast, I should of eaten out... ;) I make bad hash browns, it should be so easy but mine never come out right. Omelet was great had everything I had in the fridge in it...

Will your city wide garage sale is next weekend? I like going to those.

People are so funny look how someone painted this shed. It cracked me up.

Thumbnail by happgarden
suburban K.C., MO(Zone 6a)

Yeah, most spiders are beneficial. But, what good can a Brown Recluse spider be doing?
It skulks around building oddly shaped webs, they get in your clothes, your shoes, your boxes, your bed then BAM! I'm of the opinion that a well placed Brown Recluse spider bite can kill you. I know they're not said to be fatal often but what if one bites you on the face and rots flesh close to the brain, how can that be good?! lol I've only been bit by one good in 1993. It was during the month of July when it was raining all the time and that was when we had the bad Missouri River and other river flooding around here. Anyway, spiders were more active then. They'd come in houses way more than usual to get out of the rain. Anyway, I rolled over on one in bed and it bit me good and I missed a day of work. It didn't get all the venom in or something, I musta killed it pretty fast when I rolled over on it. I took it with me to the doctor's then and it was even more funny because he didn't know what it was either. I know what they look like now, but back then I thought it was just a "House Spider". It's a house spider alright and it'll mess you up! About a week ago, I was sitting here on the computer and I felt something on my leg so I quickly rolled out. It was one of the biggest Brown Recluse spiders I've ever seen! I brushed it off my leg and smashed it with my shoe! Before it could run off and "recluse"! I'd never kill a Garden Spider though, I just wouldn't go in the garden at nite. If I ran into that web I would freak right out! But, thanks, Betty, the Morning Glory vine is much better than a spider.
See here what pepper did to people for a month back in the day?! - http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1112539/ lol

Yeah, come on over for the garage sales, Joyce! I'll give you your Nanking while your here. You might even get to meet my friend here if she's tending the sale then. They are this coming Friday and Saturday, no Sunday sales. Somebody is dreaming of the old times with that VW Microbus shed! Cool idea though! My friend here says the shed I'm working on is starting to look like a doll-house, she loves it!

Well I was wrong it is next week sister to doctor.
I do want to come to the city sale tho. Need to figure out what day.

Glad your friend is liking what you are doing with the shed. It looks nice. I went on pinterest and was looking at sheds and how they were decorated for some ideas. I thought the van was sooo funny. There are some really nice pictures of sheds. I want to decorate the front of mine.

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

LOL!! I haven't seen that spider in a long time thankfully! lol. I do see the brown recluse all the time though. They are always in my room so I have to check the floor when I walk in so I can suck them up if needed.

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

Joyce, I was thinking the same thing when this spider appeared out in the open end of August. It's been there in same place for 3 days now. Chloe won't help me pick the garden right now because she has arachnophobia, and it's in her favorite bed (the Sungold cherry tomatoes). I do fertilize the garden with composted bunny poo. Sometimes I bring home composted horse manure from my mom's boyfriend's place & mix it in too. I also compost tea and coffee grounds, eggshells, and banana peels. Any pears that fall from the tree into the compost pile stay there to rot. Whenever I turn the pile, it's full of night crawlers.

Pepper, that was rather bold! lol

We didn't get any showers today as predicted. Another round of storms have moved into the St. Louis area and so far has dodged Madison again. However, we did get a good rain shower yesterday just as Nicole and Chloe left the house walking the dogs. They were a block away and came home soaked -- dogs too!

I did some cleanup in the yard and garden today trying to get a head start before the days get shorter. I'm exhausted, but feel good about what I accomplished.

Thumbnail by greenbrain

If you make it Joyce I'll even give you a free water bottle! We're gonna sell water bottles and chips maybe I think too. I know we are water bottles because we already have them, if they don't all get drank up first! We are enterprising sorts! We're really not trying to make a killing or anything! lol We just want to get rid of stuff, most of it will be quite cheap.

Glad to hear you haven't seen that spider in awhile there, pepper! I think that's a Wolf Spider, that was a big one!

I remember on the way back from the Spring ru in 2007 I stopped at a shed builder place off 50 hwy around Lone Jack I think. - pics #1, 2, 3, 4 and 5

Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf

I put my big pot of Caladiums in the front yard they were in the back yard. This is them in all they're glory! - pic #1 I hauled it up there in my wheelbarrow.

Does anybody know if this is that powdery mildew on my Lilac? - pic #2 It doesn't seem to be harming it but it sure looks bad. Today I tried wiping it off with a water bottle and a rag, it was coming off but the leaves tore up a little so I stopped.

Today I potted up two more Hall's Honeysuckle layerings. - pic #3 I put the trays back down there to get some more. - pic #4

The Obedient plant sure has a nice flower on it. pic #5
Will

Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf
Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

Will, that does look like powdery mildew. I read to use 1 part milk and 9 parts water. Hope this works. I've been wondering if that's what killed my lilac some years back. I hope that your plant survives.

This message was edited Sep 2, 2014 6:11 AM

BELLEVILLE, IL(Zone 6b)

Sorry been gone awhile, kids brought me home a cold the first week of school, been trying to rest. Today Im trying to find some motivation to do something..lol, not feeling any yet..

Iv had probs all summer with powdery mildew on all kinds of stuff, I tried the milk mix..did not work. Dalconil did work. I cut off the bad leaves on the sqaush, cantaloupe ect and sprayed good and they did clear up.

No babies yet, but I sent a few rabbits to TN w/ some friends for a show. One got her pic taken and shes going to be on the cover of this months ARBA DR publication..so Im not sure what pic to put in for my last farm animal pic today, thoughts?

Thumbnail by badcat Thumbnail by badcat

Ack! Don't want no steenking Powdery Mildew! Yep, that looks like what it is alright! -
http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=powdery%20mildew%20lilac&FORM=BILH1

"Although powdery mildew infections rarely pose a serious threat to the plant's health, an infection that becomes unsightly or appears early enough in the growing season warrant control."

I read that it's not fatal but it may cause the leaves to drop off.

http://www.ipm.iastate.edu/ipm/hortnews/1995/8-25-1995/powmil.html

Now here's how you make a "fence clothesline" for a garage sale and I intend to do the other side of the gate, which is even wider. - pic #1

Congrats on the bunny contest bad!
Will

Thumbnail by shortleaf

You guys are some quiet bloggers! How about my new 350 emblem on my 4 cylinder Toyota?! - pic #1

Not only did we come across the 350 emblem when we were preparing for the garage sale this weekend but I got this birdcage that I heard was good for plants. So at first I put a plant that I got from Joeswife in it but it was too heavy. I ended up putting a much smaller Purple Wondering Jew and a Coleus 'Watermelon' in it. The plant from Jw is in a clay pot, it is a combo Pothos 'Marble Wueen' and Syngonium (Arrowleaf). It weighs too much, the birdcage was sagging out the bottom from the weight. I was afraid it would fall out and ruin everything. Here it was at first though - pic #2, then the 3rd pic is it with the Coleus and the Jew in it. The last pic is it from out in the yard. Btw, the garage sale will probably get canceled because of the weather.

This message was edited Sep 3, 2014 7:14 PM

Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf

I'm here, just been super busy and it won't slow down til next week.

Love the bird cage. I bought an old one at a swap meet and put a bird nest fern and put in it...lol Mine is not as big as yours.

My clematis is blooming up a storm. My trellis rotted away and it grew too big too fast to get it up on a new trellis so it is just climbing everywhere. Funny thing, everyone seems to love the smell I don.t at all, infact I will be working in the garden and try to figure out what that smell is and then I look around and go oh yeah now I know and it is not good to me. I am saving seeds from the datrua if anyone would like some. Here is the bloom. I believe they come back true from seed.

Funny what you find when you start cleaning and getting ready for a garage sale.

Thumbnail by happgarden Thumbnail by happgarden

Oh, that clematis!! LOL. I'm trying to kill mine. Letting the jbs have at it every year. Slowly working. lol

This year I think I am going to cut it off before it goes to seed and see if I can control it. I am not worried about killing it because I don't think that is possible.

Got a cricket in the house....Cant find it.....

Ready for the garage sale Will?

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

Joyce, sweet autumn clematis was growing in my yard on the fence when we moved in 25 years ago last July & I still haven't eradicated it. I cut it down before it can bloom and go to seed, but it still comes up all over the yard just like dandelions. It's a shame because it's such an attractive and fragrant plant.

Well rats that wont work then. Lol.

About the only option is a brush or weed killer and brush it on the stems.

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

I'm so far behind.

I've been really busy. I cut back most of my flowers that are done blooming, been canning and mowing, which I need to do today. I put almost all my yard ornaments away this morning and we cut back the two beds of asparagus.

We re-did the ceiling in the room behind me and the one in the other room we watch TV in. We've been to the transfer station to dump trash, been to the State Fair and been to a couple of funerals.

Our 38th anniversary was last month and we ran to Buffalo Wild Wings and had dinner. YUM!

Looks like everyone has been busy too. I looked at and loved the photos! Especailly the garden produce!

Oh man, I have a crisper full of cucumbers that need to be dealt with.

Have a good day! I need to get busy.

Billyp You need to get busy...lol Sounds like you are plenty busy... ;) Sounds like you and I are on the same wave length about putting stuff up for the winter. I started taking tropicals in today. Should of taken more in but hate for the place to look naked,...lol

Almost everything has stopped producing and blooming except for the tropicals.

I need to gather all the plants I didn't get planted and get them healed into my mulch forts. So Sunday that is my job!

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

It was 94 F; feels like 103F, when I got off work today, but that should change later when the cold front moves through. Tomorrow and Sunday are suppose to be 70s by day and 50s at night. I'm looking forward to the cool down, but glad that everything is still growing and producing. Roses have started blooming again too. Lovin' my zone 6b! Going out to pick the garden now. Enjoy your weekend & I'll check in tomorrow sometime.

Thanks Joyce, that birdcage is still hanging! We're having the garage sale 1 day only, tomorrow,
come on over! Our sale will be from 9am to 5pm. It's not supposed to rain tomorrow I hear, we'll see!

Rain is done and over with. lol. I was in and out of it all day trying to water the trees in front of building and only getting most of them before giving up.

Family reunion this weekend so won't be around much.

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

Enjoy your family reunion Pepper. The weather should be nicer for spending time outdoors with your loved ones.

BP, you do sound like a busy woman! I hope that you find time to relax a bit & enjoy the outdoors this fall.

I'm out the door grocery shopping to beat the crowd and before Mike needs the car for work. Chloe, Nicole, & I went bike riding yesterday evening & made it home just before the storm. I was in the garden and had just finished picking squash, okra, & tomatoes when the rain started. My garden spider was still in the same spot. I'll check today & see if it's still there. Weather today: currently 65F and overcast with rain slowly diminishing. Clearing later and high around 78F. Looks like a good day to get some outdoor chores out of the way.

I'll check in later; though I may just be lurking. lol

Thumbnail by greenbrain Thumbnail by greenbrain Thumbnail by greenbrain Thumbnail by greenbrain Thumbnail by greenbrain
Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

Green your garden !!! So nice. Am jealous. Kinda lost track of this thread. Could not remember what the name of it was! Lol. So at thetop of thismonth thread you all were talking about spiders. It really gave me the willies and thought about it everytime I woke up in the night.
My daughter took it upon her self to make the babies birth announcemets she did such a great job! She is so precious... have to go see her really soon. LOVE!!

Thumbnail by gardenlady123 Thumbnail by gardenlady123

GL ALERT WARNING DON'T READ THIS!!! Well start reading at the second paragraph. STOP DON'T READ ANY FURTHER HERE GL.
My big ole garden spider stays in the same place and has had a little one...lol They don't scare me for some odd reason, now don't get me wrong if we were touching....omgoooosh!

GL second paragraph ok to read.... She is beautiful and what a wonderful announcement. You just want to kiss her ;)

Will sorry I missed the sale, hope you had a great sale. It was beautiful day.

we went to Greenfield IA to a swap meet. I bought a ton of stuff! A really nice metal watering can with the rose sprinkler for 8.00 !! Then a whole bunch of big ole iron wheels, and then several old iron tiller wheels and other stuff. DH shopped like crazy and we had a great time. Took the back roads and just enjoyed the weather and the beauty of the landscape.

We had an okay sale, I think we had around 8 customers to our garage sale. It was a nice day, a little cool early on, it was 59°. My friend even had a blanket on her for awhile.
I think the citywide garage sales were mostly canceled around here, I didn't see one other sale.
The rain yesterday (the first day) probably gave people an excuse not to have it. One lady offered a quarter on something that was marked 4 dollars! But, even though whatever it was was worth 4 dollars easy we say okay. She wants to get rid of stuff, rather than give it away, make a quarter on it! This is a pic of our garage sale with a stray cat on my friend's legs! -
Will

Thumbnail by shortleaf

Had a great day yesterday!! An uncle brought their new puppy and had 2 people fighting over the brother that was still available. An aunt won out. lol. We then moved the party to another house where we didn't leave til after 10:30 that night. lol

Today I mainly relaxed but pulled out my small flowered sunflower because it was taking up too much space and yanked most of my veggie plants.

Sounds like you had fun yesterday and today. Resting is nice.... ;)

We went to lunch with friends and then I spent the afternoon dragging tropicals in the garden room. I have to get done tomorrow cause I have alot going on this week and I sure don't want to do it during the rain!

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

Happ thanks for the warning! So funny. I am not scared really of spiders I just read all that right before going to bed. Haha. Lmao. You nut.
Pretty chilly here this a.m. only 51. I will warm up soon will be giving the new baby loads of hugs!

LOL Didn't want you to lose any sleep...lol

I am looking for flowers that bloom in this time of the year. Now I am zone 5. My gardens look horrible right now. Would you list what you have blooming or post pics?

I have blooming:
1. Mums - which I do not have much success with
2. turtle head
3. autumn joy sedum
4. hardy hibiscus

Well I can't get pics uploaded but I am sure you all got the idea.

Get other varieties of sedum to start. There are some with purple foliage.

I had a small headed sunflower blooming yesterday but it was spreading too fast for me so I ripped it up. My Paprika rose is blooming, zinnas.

I'll do some more thinking and looking. This is a down time for blooming usually anyways. Need lots of greenery to make up for it!! lol

Thanks Pep, I have the purple sedum, but it is nothing like the green as far as blooms at least not for me.

Zinnas would be good but I would have to start them from seed every year. but that is a good one.

well back out still dragging tropicals in. Problem is I have to drag things out of the garden room and arrange everything, if all I had to do was walk them in it would only be almost awful...instead of awful!

I have a few things blooming, not much. Black-Eyed Susans are probably leading the way, they're awesome this time of year. My outdoor Kalanchoe from Jw is blooming nicely right now.
That Aster? behind it (from Jw also) is blooming nicely, there were bees on it earlier today.
These 4 oclocks seem to be in a partial bloom kinda thing, some are blooming and some aren't.
Those were just tubers when I got them at the ru, they grew fast. - pics #3 and #4
And last but not least is my Swirly Purple Petunias! -
Will

My black eyed susan's are done and have dried out. My kalanchoe is blooming beautifully. My hardy hibiscus is blooming along with rose of sharon. I have one daylily blooming... ;)

This is what I did today, started out with an empty garden room and ended up with this!

Still not done, but pretty close. I am so sore from lugging and pulling huge potted plants around the yard....

This always happens when you least expect it they weather guy goes SURPRISE!

Thumbnail by happgarden Thumbnail by happgarden
BELLEVILLE, IL(Zone 6b)

This is it for here, lighting was weird this morning.

sedum and echie
hydrangeas
liriope are loaded
gomphrena
big pic

Thumbnail by badcat Thumbnail by badcat Thumbnail by badcat Thumbnail by badcat Thumbnail by badcat
Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Hi all from Nebraska.
On and off rain today, temperature staying in the low 70's, down from yesterday's high of 90. But the upcoming forecast has a forecast low of 37 for Friday night/Saturday a.m. Last week we finally had our first night that dipped below 55, so fall is approaching fast.
I've decided that the tomatoes are done for the year, I've chopped cooked and froze enough bits, sauce and paste to last me the winter. While putting the last of it in the freezer, I found a bag of peppers from 2013, which means I will have some peppers over winter. Out of at least 6 dozen peppers from 13 plants, I was only able to save 5 (partially chewed) from the slugs. I set the beer traps - the slugs ignored them. I spread Sluggo around the plants - no effect until it was too late. My single eggplant set 6 at one time, gave away half and enjoyed the other half, but the newly set babies may not be big enough before cold takes them. The english cucumber plant I bought at the farmer's market gave me 90% of the cucumbers I picked this year - plenty to eat, plenty to give away, and it's still going, which is good because my fall cucumbers are blooming but no females. Fall chard is up, radishes, lettuce and spinach just peeking out of the ground. Waiting for my seed garlic to arrive, got the plot ready. Getting the plant stands set up in the basement for the houseplants to come in.

rofl badcat, looks like a radiation attack on the pics. I have that happen sometimes getting a strange green cast. Looking beyond that, you have a beautiful bed.

Cybrczch You have been very busy. Wonder why beer didn't work on the slugs? Works on mine except when the dogs drink it. lol Sounds like you are going to have some great eating this winter. I need to grab some green tomatoes off the vine to fry up. I haven't had any yet this year. Otherwise my garden is done.

Well tornado watch going on, it got so loud with thunder I thought I would get up and check the weather.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.