Unidentified Growing Object

(Robin) Blissfield, MI(Zone 6a)

I found this little guy in the back of a greenhouse, his "Hi, my name is" sticker had long fallen off. He has both whorls of three leaves and opposite pairs. I have no idea how big he'll get when he's full size so I don't know if I can keep him or not.

Does anyone recognize this one?

Thumbnail by Mipii Thumbnail by Mipii Thumbnail by Mipii Thumbnail by Mipii
Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

I think that's a "fixer upper" and not presently very happy Hydrangea paniculata.

Depending on which clone it is/was, can reach 10-20' and 10-20' wide - though there are newer clones which don't get quite so big. All are rejuvenatable, though that one looks like it will take some work.

Thanks so much VV, I sure like the size and texture of the leaves. Now I know what else to expect (yes, with some TLC and work). He's too big for me to keep but I'll nurse him back to health so he can find a good home.

Eau Claire, WI(Zone 4a)

Mipii, it sounds like you and I share the same disease: Impulsive Plant Procurement. Hydrangea is a genus that has spurred a lot of hybrids over the past few years, with most claiming to be shorter in stature. Short in stature is a good thing. There's a few that even boast to grow no higher than 4', but I find that diffiuct to believe and wonder if it will hold up. I planted three H. p. 'Silver Dollar' panics a couple of weeks ago that were promptly chewed down by deer. They leave the arborescens alone for the most part, but unfortunately relish paniculata.

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

Hydrangea arborescens will always be of modest stature, and has the added valuable ability of being totally happy growing on the side of cliffs.

Here are some examples found in Marble Creek Gorge in Jessamine County, not far from the confluence with the Kentucky River. Pardon the odd lighting - these were taken right before an extraordinary June downpour.

Thumbnail by ViburnumValley Thumbnail by ViburnumValley Thumbnail by ViburnumValley Thumbnail by ViburnumValley Thumbnail by ViburnumValley

Pseudo yes, I'm another plant geek like you. I have a Hydrangea macrophylla 'Endless Summer' that died to the ground this last winter and void of blooms this growing season as a result. It has not grown over 3' for me but has almost regained the pre-winter height it had. The leaves are huge and this one offers much to be desired throughout the seasons...I love it. Other than dying to the ground on occasion, it's supposed to be good in Zones 4 to 9.

VV Marble Creek Gorge is exquisite! Your Hydrangea arborescens find is amazing growing on the side of a cliff...wow.

Eau Claire, WI(Zone 4a)

Macrophylla dies to the ground here, even in relatively mild winters. Wimpy plant, but you're right about the foliage -- very nice! It almost feels leathery.

Nice photos VV. I'm guessing the wild things you encountered looked nothing like Annabelle. Wild thing, I think I love you...

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.