Sunny and Sandy Tree Recommendation

East Bridgewater, MA

My daughters want to plant a new tree in the backyard. Any recommendations for a leafy tree in very sandy soil on a hill in full sunlight in SE Massachusetts? Should we do a PH test for further info? I'm thinking a medium sized tree dogwood sized maybe. I'd like something a little unique. We already have red and Norway maples, flowering cherry, paper and river birch, a Lombardy poplar, a dogwood, and a couple European pear cultivars. These are nice but pretty common.

Anything fun that would grow well to recommend?

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

Oh, the choices....
Off the top of my head:
Stewartia - maybe better with a little afternoon shade
Parrotia persica.
Katsura japonica.
Styrax japonica.
Oxydendrum arborerum.
Maackia amurensis.
Acer trifolium.
Acer griseum.
Acer tegmentosum Joe Witt
Others will suggest many more, I'm sure.

Lake Stevens, WA(Zone 8a)

I like WR's list. Also possibly Koelreuteria paniculata, the Golden Rain Tree might be nice, I have seen a few on trips to Boston so I think it grows there (I never lived there so really I don't know about diseases and such). Unique for sure. The girls might like the flamboyant flowers. Or maybe a Tree Lilac which would also have a jaw-dropping floral display.

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

What is Katsura japonica?

I vote for Ilex opaca - leafy year 'round.

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

OK, ok, you knew perfectly well what I meant ... cercidiphyllum japonicum, of course, AKA katsura. A beautiful tree.

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

Or I was also thinking, since you're a coniferophile, how about a weeping cedar of Lebanon or a golden deodar? They're listed as marginally hardy, but they do OK for me here & I've seen some beautiful golden deodar cedars in NYC area.

Eau Claire, WI(Zone 4a)

Having never lived in MA, but recently spending four days in Boston, I feel completely qualified to make recommendations. Does this site dry out quickly? If so, I'd lean towards something that will be quite content in these conditions. Your daughters may also benefit from watching a tree grow healthy and strong, rather than suffer through each dry period or harsh winter, leading to a potential early demise. They don't need that.

There's a couple of tree-form Corylus that are nice: C. fargesii and C. colurna. If you want to go native, Ostrya virginiana makes for a nice, disease resistant tree, especially when given a sunny site.

If the site is a bit more moisture retentive, then you've a got a world of possibilities. Sorbus alnifolia is a lovely medium-sized tree that would look splendid on a hill. Another one with a local interest is Cladrastis 'Perkins Pink', which was found at the Perkins School for the Blind
in Watertown. Mmm, I wonder if that tree is still around?

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

Nyssa sylvatica 'Zydeco Twist'

Styrax obassia

Magnolia macrophylla 'Julian Hill'

Halesia diptera var. magniflora

Acer cappadocicum

Davidia involucrata

East Bridgewater, MA

Wow! What great responses! I'll have to do some research with my girls, but all your suggestions will get proper attention.

I'll report back what the final decision is.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.