first repot in last 10 years

Perth, United Kingdom(Zone 7b)

I recently moved this Stenocactus from a 3 inch to a 5 inch pot as it was long overdue for repotting but just realised today it had been in same pot for about 10 years! I got it in 1999 I think when it was about an inch in diameter and potted it on a couple of times but since 2003 or so it was in same pot. its looking better now, more filled out and roots have already reached the drainage holes, not sure how much bigger it will get - Stenocactus tend not to offset according to what I've heard but I'll be glad if it stays a single plant as looks fine as it is.

Thumbnail by DMersh Thumbnail by DMersh
Decatur, GA

Nice plant. "Brain cactus" are one of my favorite though I never got one to live so long. Any flowers along the way?
Helen

Its flowered each year for some years now, the usual pink/white striped flowers you get from Stenocactus,I've never known the exact species it is.

Sun Lakes, AZ(Zone 9b)

I think it is Stenocactus multicostatus (Brain cactus)

Only picture I can find of it in flower, from 2012, it produced quite a few flowers this year.

Thumbnail by DMersh

Amazing picture of a mature plant here;

http://www.llifle.com/Encyclopedia/CACTI/Family/Cactaceae/1736/Echinofossulocactus_multicostatus_f._lloydii

the page above says Stenocactus multicostatus has 50-100 ribs, I can only seem to count 35 on my plant. I recall reading that this genus hybridyzes easily though, so might be a hybrid of different Stenocactus species.

Sun Lakes, AZ(Zone 9b)

Yes, it could be a different species of Stenocactus. The link to the site is terrific. Thanks.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.