Lord Baltimore Hib.

Center, TX

I have a LB hibiscus that is blooming this year but it doesn't seem to be making any seeds. They all fall off. Can I root some cuttings and if so when should I cut them. Thanks for any suggestions. Alda

Conyers, GA

Lord Baltimore roots very easily from cuttings and you get babies the same year instead of waiting for next year from the seeds.
You can start making cuttings from jun/july till they go dormant. The cuttings also will go dormant, in cold weather-in fact they will look dead- but will come back every summer.

Wanaque, NJ(Zone 6b)

Quote from alday :
I have a LB hibiscus that is blooming this year but it doesn't seem to be making any seeds. They all fall off. Can I root some cuttings and if so when should I cut them. Thanks for any suggestions. Alda

First of all congratulations, you most likely have a real Hibiscus Lord Baltimore because Lord Baltimore is sterile on almost Hibiscus pollen including its own. The one exception is Hibiscus Moy Grande which will pollinate a Lord Baltimore and produce viable offspring but I was disappointed with the flowers. The reason why Lord Baltimore is such a prolific bloomer is because it doesn’t set seeds.

The Lord Baltimore is the purest red of any hardy Hibiscus with no discernable red eye. If you can see a red eye, you most likely don’t have a Lord Baltimore. If someone wants to sell or give you genuine Lord Baltimore seeds, decline the offer. Many of the pictures of Lord Baltimore on Dave’s Garden are not Lord Baltimore.

In the early spring it is very easy to propagate Lord Baltimore using root-divisions. Dig up the crow with a pitchfork being careful to minimize damage to the roots. Split the crown into several sections and each section will become a new plant with a 100% success rate. Keep the largest section of the crow to start the new mother plant.

Kure Beach, NC(Zone 9a)

Michael, that's great information.
Thanks!
Barb

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.