Couldn't find much on conifer diseases

East Texas, United States(Zone 8a)

I am panicked as one of my 4 columnar yews is becoming light green and tree looks sparse though b/c of fallen needles. It has been too gradual though for me
To not have noticed sooner. It almost looks as if the tree is in bad need of moisture but it is right by a sprinkler head. We checked them and they're working properly

I checked moisture with my finger and it seemed normal and no different than other 3 yews. I looked for cankers and see nothing. Don't know what else to do to determine course of action. Suggestions are appreciated. Hv never had trouble before.

My yews are 8/9 years old, 20 ft tall. Sculptural effect will be destroyed if I loose one of 4.

This message was edited Aug 28, 2014 4:14 PM

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

Can you provide images of the conditions?

So sorry, I forgot that I had posted here also. My tree died. Upon removing, we realized a good portion of the root system had grown right over some sprinkler system piping. There seemed to be no major leak or tear on pipe but a slight leak over years and years could have eventually killed my tree. Obviously the tree wasn't planted there on purpose but plants and their roots grow so take that into consideration when planting around sprinklers.

I was lucky to find a 5 ft replacement which looks ridiculously small next to the statuesque specimens nearby but what else could be done. Live and learn.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Hey Vossner! Long time! Wondering if you can help me out on a tree question. Remember the oak tree I have with the deck built around it? I noticed a webbing all the way up the trunk, suspect a worm or something insidious, although I can find nothing identifiable when I scrap the webbing off.

Thumbnail by rjuddharrison Thumbnail by rjuddharrison
Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Oddly it's only on the north side of tree, and pretty high up, south side is clear

Thumbnail by rjuddharrison Thumbnail by rjuddharrison

Hiya randy!

I found this and it sure sounds like what you have, not serious
http://m.jacksonville.com/community/st-johns/2011-07-19/story/recent-questions-webbing-oak-trees-finding-earthworms#gsc.tab=0

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Ok thanks! Just heard same thing from another friend. I'm relieved! Thanks.
Stop by when u get a chance, I'm semi retired now!

Will do. R u at same address

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Not as snappy as I use to be! Same address. Would love to see yo!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.