Advice or opinions on adding gaillardia

Pasco, WA(Zone 6b)

Just wondering if anyone has a bed of gaillardias. And maybe a picture of that bed. Would love to see what it looks like. I am thinking of filling the front of my island bed with them. But a lot of things in that bed are pinks, purples, yellows. Not sure if the colors of gaillardia would work well there. I wish they made gaillardias in pink! I would FILL the front of that bed up with them! They bloom so long! That's why I am considering doing this. Plus no messing around with annuals every year. Here are some photos of the bed at different stages and years that I am talking about filling the front with gaillardias. Any thoughts or advice?

Thumbnail by Sherrygirl Thumbnail by Sherrygirl Thumbnail by Sherrygirl Thumbnail by Sherrygirl
Tobyhanna, PA(Zone 5a)

Sherrygirl,

Your garden bed is beautiful! Personally, I love gaillardias, but don't plant them because the groundhogs and deer won't leave them alone. :-(

If your not quite sure if gaillardias will "color clash", maybe plant only a few here in there in the front at first to see if you like the look. You can always add more ...

Jane

Lake Stevens, WA(Zone 8a)

Sherry- I stayed up late last night doing some on-line plant shopping. I was noticing that Plant Delights Nursery sells a pink Gaillardia!

http://www.plantdelights.com/Gaillardia-aestivalis-var-winkleri-Grape-Sensation-for-sale/Buy-Grape-Sensation-Blanket-Flower/

I can't grow them here, they hate my clay and soggy winters, but this species is from Texas and might be perfect for your climate.

Thumbnail by Pistil
Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Your garden is extremely beautiful! I love the boarder and all the flowers look so pretty. In regards to Gaillardia, I wouldn't plant any as they die over the winter for me. If that rudbeckia in your photos is perennial for you though, (they die over winter for me too) then I'd say plant Gaillardia.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.