what's eating my yellow climbing rose?

Denver, CO

Are there a couple things wrong with this rose? Please help identify the bugs/ issues. Stopped blooming a while back. Thanks!

Thumbnail by ronhinger Thumbnail by ronhinger
Contra Costa County, CA(Zone 9b)

Where leaves are sort of scraped, leaving the veins and causing a tan patch (second picture) I think of a small pest with a small mouth that cannot take a full bite of the leaf. As this pest grows bigger it may get large enough to eat the whole leaf. One such pest is the Rose Slug. Not a real slug at all, but a sawfly larvae.

Another pest starts by taking neat notches out of the edges, but as more and more of the pest population builds up they start notching bigger and bigger sections of the leaf until most of it is gone. Root Weevils do this, but I do not think they are responsible for the second picture, just a possibility for the first picture. Grasshoppers can also eat large, irregular chunks of the leaf.

To trap some try leaving a loosely rolled newspaper on the soil overnight. The next day shake it into a white bucket to see what you have trapped. Many pests eat in the night and spend the day hidden at the base of the plant.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.