Tree With Folded Edge Leaves

East Bridgewater, MA

Also from a local college, from what I remember, this tree's leaves were very thick and rubbery. Not sure if the leaf arrangement is opposite or alternate either, even looking at the pictures.

What is this tree?

Thanks!

Thumbnail by neefman Thumbnail by neefman Thumbnail by neefman Thumbnail by neefman Thumbnail by neefman
Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Magnolia?

Resin

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

Yes, definitely a deciduous magnolia.

Need to show the entire tree when trying to identify an unknown, and then work down to details. Buds along the stem where the leaves attach are usually positive IDs every time - except when not provided.

East Bridgewater, MA

Is this pic more helpful?

Thumbnail by neefman
Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

That image is helpful to see the fuzzy terminal bud typical of some deciduous magnolias.

Without a full shot of the tree, here's the best I've got:

Seems to have a single trunk, and significant vigor. That fatter leaf character (versus narrower and longer elliptical shape) makes me lean away from the Magnolia ×loebneri and Magnolia stellata types and toward one like Magnolia × 'Butterflies'.

I'm not sure that there is any more definitive information to gather at this stage of the plant's annual cycle - short of quizzing the grounds managers about its identity, or at least the flower color.

Visit it again in April.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.