Color Change

Oklahoma City, OK(Zone 7a)

I bought a purple leaf filbert "Rosita" last year specifically for the purple leaves. Although the leaves emerge purple, they quickly change to green. Is that normal, or is it because it is getting too much sun?

I also bought a Forest Pansy redbud for the same reason. It, too, is not holding the purple color. Is that normal?

I just tried to take pictures, but there were too many shadows to see the colors. I'll post them later after I can get better shots.

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

Many purple-foliaged plants are most brightly colored w/ fresh spring growth and fade to purplish green or completely green with the warmth of the summer. For me, Forest Pansy has pretty much turned green by now, but it's still a deeper/duskier color than the species. I have no experience w/ Rosita. Most purple foliaged plants retain best coloration in full sun.

Thanks, Weerobin. As soon as I posted this, I realized that I should have checked Plant Files. I'm just so impressed with the expertise on these forums that I don't even think about going anywhere but to the experts for my questions. You're right. Both do turn green after the new leaves have emerged. I'm disappointed, especially about the filbert, because I specifically bought them for their purple leaves. I don't mind so much about the redbud because I still like it, and the color change doesn't affect my color scheme so much where I put it. I'll probably move the filbert because I don't like the color or the size where it is now, but I think I've already found another place for it.

Now I'm on the hunt for something else to balance a nice Japanese maple in my front bed. There was Japanese maple there when we bought the house, but it had a single truck rather than the multiple trunks the one on the other side has. It also suffered from being too close to the driveway (company kept breaking branches off backing out of our narrow driveway which really hurt the shape/form) and too much western sun, so I finally removed it last year.

I want an ornamental tree or interesting shrub that retains its purple/red leaves as much as possible and doesn't get taller than 8-10'. I love weeping forms. Any suggestions?

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

I don't know any plant that retains the purple all summer. Maybe others can suggest.
Have you considered a fagus sylvatica cultivar - there are weeping/purple leaved cultivars.
Also there are new purple-foliaged contorted filberts (corylus avellana red majestic, among others) with interesting winter silhouettes.
Albizia Summer Chocolate also has beautiful purple foliage, but I think it would get too big for your site and it's offspring would exacerbate spread of the species, which I suspect is listed as invasive in OK, though I'm not sure.
I'm sure there are more suggestions from others.

Thanks again, Weerobin. See why I immediately think of a forum for advice rather than plant files or other encyclopedia-type resources?

I do like the looks of some of the weeping purple leaved cultivars of fagus sylvatica. Looks like most of them get too big for my site, but there was at least one that would be a contender if I could find it.

Yes, I would have preferred a contorted filbert for the winter silhouette. Frankly, I didn't even realized mine wasn't contorted until after I planted it. I just got too excited about finding this one because I'd fallen in love with one I saw at a neighbor's house. I am quite impulsive when I see something I love. That character flaw is not that bad when I buy perennials or even small shrubs because I am absolutely fearless about moving things around. On the larger shrubs and trees, however, I have less options due to size.

I do have an Albizia Summer Chocolate that I love in my backyard. I keep a keen lookout for seedlings since I know regular mimosas can be invasive. So far, however, mine has been behaved as far as I can tell.

I think I'll post a new thread asking for recommendations since I'm not sure anyone else will plow through my long-winded missiles to find the question.

Again, thanks.

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

Yes - the title of your posting has great bearing on who might stop in to take a look. You might try something like:

"Free weeping purple foliaged rare plants - I'll deliver to your door and plant it for you!"

You'll have everyone and their brother offering opinions then.

As to 8-10' tall purple-all-growing-season plants that also will tolerate OK gardening conditions - that's Oklahoma to the rubes reading this - the first species that came to mind was Physocarpus opulifolius. The Eastern Ninebark isn't the rarest and most glamorous shrub, but it is workmanlike and gets the job done for most - and isn't particularly demanding. There a more than a couple purple-leafed forms. I am sure their performance varies; you'll have to do your homework in your growing region to determine whether this plant will suit you.

Which leads to my never-to-be-humble opinion on opinions: they are only as good as who offers them, and what their opinion is based on. I forever marvel at one person who still populates a forum, and mostly bases opinions on plants across the United States and elsewhere on their gardening experience in one city and someone's book about that community. Unless you were gardening there or someplace exactly like that, what good would that really do for you? Similarly, trying to determine a location's suitability for a plant based on the U.S. record largest individual for that species - another favorite of this person - is ludicrous.

Conversely, I respect well-traveled commentators that have experienced plants in many growing conditions - including residential, public gardens, arboretums, and commercial enterprises. Being well-read from a variety of sources over many generations of thought - that also will mean much more than quick blasts from loud keyboards or touch screens.

None of this means that any opinion is wrong, bad, or ill-conceived. It just means weigh your evidence.

Other species you might explore include Berberis thunbergii (and maybe other Barberry species) though these are known invasives in the northeastern US; Cercis canadensis which seems to have new clones introduced weekly; various ornamental Crabapple selections; and numerous Prunus species/clones which have red/purple foliage in the growing season. These groups will represent many plants that have a relatively long and proven track record.

Newer on the scene are some Lagerstroemia (Crapemyrtle) clones with purple foliage. I killed a couple of these - well, the past winter did - so I don't have an extended experience to relate to you, but Crapemyrtle in general is a pretty tough plant for places like yours. See if there are some rated for the size range you wish, and go for it.

Thanks, VV for another couple of potential contenders. I've wanted a Ninebark for quite a while because I love flowering shrubs and purple leafed anything, but I couldn't think of any place to put one. I typically do not like shrubs that get more than 3-4' tall, so I probably avoided it due to its size. Its form and leaf shape/size remind me of my filbert, and the size could work to counterbalance my Japanese maple.

Although I tend to be attracted to barberries from a distance, I dismiss them when I realize what they are because I decided I didn't want any, most likely because I have heard they are invasive.

I already have a Forest Pansy redbud on the other side of my driveway.

I think sand plums look too much like Japanese maples, and I was looking for something else. Unless I find something strikingly different that holds its purple color, I would probably just get another Japanese maple because I love them so much. I just thought it might be interesting to break away from complete symmetry while staying with purple leaves.

It's funny you mentioned crape myrtles. Earlier today I was thinking about one of the Black Diamond crape myrtles. I love crape myrtles in general (I've added 4 Red Rockets and 3 Pink Velours to the pink one I inherited in the back yard when we bought our house.) I was blown away by their dark leaves when I first saw them last year, but I couldn't think a place to put one. However, I broke down and bought a very small one this year just because I had to have one. I'll have to check their mature size to see if one might work in my front bed.

Sounds like you are all set, then!

Besides sand cherries - and the ubiquitous Purpleleaf Plums - there are Prunus virginiana 'Schubert' and 'Canada Red' cherry selections that have red/purple foliage during the summer. They may be larger than you want for that particular spot, but foliage was your main criteria. I have personally never grown these plants, though they seem to be a popular nursery production plant.

suburban K.C., MO(Zone 6a)

This message was edited Aug 31, 2014 12:41 PM

Will:

Glad to see that you still come back to DG and offer opinions. Getting out of the echo chamber of some of the internet's "gated communities" is healthy, and that adds to the quality of thought that everyone can benefit from.

Not sure what issue you have about regarding the Bur Oak post that is linked to above - since you placed an unanswered post after my statement about the (former) champions in KY and/or MO which are now (apparently as of 2011) surpassed by a tree in IN. From the American Forests record keeping about what is biggest now, the KY champion that I have visited (and assisted in having reproduced by propagators in KY and MO) has been exceeded by other trees - and none of that has anything to do with anyone that has posted here at DG.

I'm also not sure what offense has been taken regarding "the insensitve, scathing post up there..." since I was referring to a person who posts on an entirely different website - and who lives/gardens in Seattle. If you require evidence of that, I can link to some of those postings - there are numerous examples - or you could look it up yourself, since you used to participate there as well..

Sometimes looking for offense is its own reward. People can choose to take affront, even if they are not even part of the conversation. There were many people who used to populate this forum who did exactly the same thing - to the detriment of themselves, their targets, and many who suffered collateral damage - including friends of yours. That was a shame, because there are an awful lot of positive opportunities to participate here.

I've never met you in person, though I've enjoyed and been entertained by your posts and experiences in a variety of different forums. I expect that those experiences with trees around Missouri and elsewhere match up with the "Show Me" attitude expressed here. That is all well and good - and whether there is disagreement or not on opinions has NOTHING to do with attributing value as a person!

Everyone should keep posting opinions. My statements above only cautioned to questioners that applicability is important, and contributors that offer their opinions ought to define the length and breadth of their experience so that the most value is attained.

Oh. I think I know who and where your talking about. I also have a book that I used to quote from all the time years ago. Okay, I take back all the nasty things I said.
I'm not "looking for offense", I really thought that you meant me. It's all good. I know some people like you and your knowledge about stuff.
Will

Unless you used to garden in Seattle instead of Missouri, you definitely are not the same person. And my point was that very good advice for Seattle doesn't necessarily translate to lots of other places. Still good, but for the right consumer.

I hope people find information on this site useful, and enjoy some of the banter that slips in. It can be awfully dry to simply recite botanical facts.

Stirring the pot can raise passions, and possibly generate more participation. Having fun can be part of that equation.

John,
hehe.. no, never been to Washington. Yeah, I remember that characteristic of the person now, that was frustrating alright. I agree, the banter can get interesting at times. I've never had a broken nose or a fat lip and I don't want to start now! : )

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

What about a plant that turns purple (burgundy?) in fall. These are images of Cotinus 'Grace' in November on zone 5a.

The first picture is in May. A good closeup of the leaves.

Here it is with the "smoke" in June.

And ablaze in November.

This one was about 15 feet tall. I loved it so much I bought a second.

Thumbnail by DonnaMack Thumbnail by DonnaMack Thumbnail by DonnaMack

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.