Amelanchier arborea ISO a compatible partner

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

What type of Amelanchier should I plant with my Amelanchier arborea (no cultivar specified) to maximize fruit production?

A wise man once said "As far as Amelanchier goes - you are kidding yourself if you only plant one clonal variety", and I believe him.

Plant sale time is upon us, so any and all suggestions would be very welcome.

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

Does the wise man know what ISO stands for in your thread title?

I would suggest another Amelanchier arborea (non-identical), Amelanchier laevis, and/or the hybrid of these two species which is known as Amelanchier × grandiflora. There are many named clones of the hybrid species to choose from.

Of course, overlapping bloom times is the over-riding principle and necessity.

'Prince Charles' and 'Ballerina' are supposed to taste best. Not sure what 'Princess Diana' would say about that...

Thumbnail by ViburnumValley Thumbnail by ViburnumValley
Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

ISO = "in search of", an acronym most often seen in ads placed in newspapers by people seeking partners. Geez, I thought everyone over 40 knew that : - )

Thanks for the expert advice; I appreciate it!

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

I share VV's embarrassment/cluelessness; surely you meant everyone 'below 40' knows that....

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

no....I could be mistaken (I often am), but I think the idea of using acronyms when placing newspaper ads because they are charged by the letter is fairly foreign to young people.

Now you are purposely trying to confuse me.

What's a "newspaper"?

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

in Maryland you sometimes find "newspapers" under piles of cooked Callinectes sapidus

That makes it officially time for lunch. Wish I was closer to the Bay...

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

My typing is so bad, I actually mistook the ISO (which yes I have heard of and seen) for a typo of an emphatic 'is'....which didn't make sense, but 'not making sense' is something I find myself doing too.

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

And let's not forget how useful newspapers are for making lasagna beds and compost, and to make clean-up easier when you're potting plants inside in the dead of winter....

Packing material for shipping bare root liners...

Lining bird cages...

Inexpensive wrapping paper at Christmas (when you are one of ten kids)...

Stacked and bound with wire to create blocks, which when assembled consecutively, make a good dam (for erosion control)...

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

cleaning cat pans...
catching dribbled food and coffee as you eat your breakfast...

I had not thought of that dam idea; I'll have to try that one. I've been relying on good ole Virginia clay to make dams. Sometimes I think I'm the only gardener around who never has enough clay. Sometimes I dig holes in my yard just because I need clay.
It can be a pain, but it's hard to beat for both retaining and repelling water.

Lexington, MA(Zone 6a)

Isn't ISO from the personal ads?

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

Yes indeed.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.