House Plants

Landisburg, PA(Zone 6a)

Plants that you have set outside over tthe summer.
WHat do you do to rid them of soil bugs before bringing back inside.

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

Cross my fingers mostly!
If I move it around and don't find ants underneath, I usually assume its all OK. And I clean around the soil surface a bit, remove debris and any spider webs I find.

Good question though!

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Treat with a systemic 2 weeks before you bring them inside. Well that what I have been told but I never seem to do that I am always rushing around last minute trying to get all the plants inside before the first frost. So I guess that is a do as I say not as I do. LOL

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

I think it was Gita who has said she treats with a systemic before bringing them inside also. Holly, I always forget too - maybe I'll remember this year, but I don't want to start thinking about fall just yet LOL.

Try to think about the systemic anytime after Labor Day, maybe there's more of a chance.

One year I was really on the ball. I bought the 'No Pest Strip that Ric mentioned, and hung it in the shed. Then all plants spent a night or two in with it. Then moved it to my storage area basement, and same deal. The No Pest Strip is a sort of fumigant and not approved for living spaces. I was trying to cut down the spider mites. It may have helped.

Landisburg, PA(Zone 6a)

what kind of a systemic

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

"Bonide Systemic Granules" is what I use--but this is now an old product
and hard to find. A few years ago--I found it at BJ Liquidators.
but that store is now gone.
I bet you could find it in a Southern States? Or--maybe some mega-Nursery?

Bayer products at HD now also has Systemic Granules as well as the liquid form.
Look in aisle #1. Always--look for the word "Systemic" on the label.

Good luck! Gita

Here is what the Bonide Jar looks like....it also comes in a big Jug.

Thumbnail by Gitagal Thumbnail by Gitagal
Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

Consider avoiding systemics if at all possible. The active ingredient in the Bonide is Imidacloprid, which is associated with bee colony collapse: see http://hydrobuilder.com/bonide-4-2-systemic-granules-weather-resistant-container.html?dzid=csegps_BND9534&gclid=CjwKEAjwsdafBRC2rYuDuYXk2TESJACsUN_uXiqUvEEVeqc2DxavALEY4dAPTrNr1dzNq1jGJJep_BoCfkbw_wcB and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imidacloprid ("Recent research suggests that widespread agricultural use of imidacloprid and other pesticides may be contributing to honey bee colony collapse disorder, the decline of honey bee colonies in Europe and North America observed since 2006.[8][9][10] As a result, several countries have restricted use of imidacloprid and other neonicotinoids.[8] In January 2013, the European Food Safety Authority stated that neonicotinoids pose an unacceptably high risk to bees, and that the industry-sponsored science upon which regulatory agencies' claims of safety have relied on may be flawed, or even deceptive.")

I haven't used any insecticides on the plants I bring inside and it hasn't been a big problem.

Damascus, MD(Zone 7a)

I have not had problems with insects coming into the house on the foliage. Instead, I had earthworms in the potting soil. A few came out and died on the carpet :-( I think I am going to repot the plants before bringing them in.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Happy--

Not to minimize the importance of NOT harming any polinators--
I use the Systemic only on houseplants/foliage plants that
I bring in for the winter. No bees involved on these....

It does get rid of colonies of Ants and bugs and worms in the soil in the potted plants.
It does kill the Fungus Gnats that lay their eggs in moist soil in all my houseplants.
You should see how many there are always on my sticky cards!

When I hear some DG'ers complain about all kinds of infestations on their
houseplants--(not gonna name names) this can be the solution.

SO_--Hang me at dawn.......Gita......:o!

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

Gita: I have read that the toxic impact on bees continues when you bring the plants out in the spring, which is one reason given for not buying plants from growers who use Imidacloprid. Apparently it stays active in the soil for a long time, with a half-life of over two years in certain soils. http://ento.psu.edu/publications/are-neonicotinoids-killing-bees "Some of its formulations, including granules, spikes, trunk injections, pills, foliar sprays and seed dressings can remain active in plant tissues up to six months (Phluger and Schmuck, 1991)." http://slosson.ucdavis.edu/files/66375.pdf Also, curiously, it won't kill spider mites. http://www.walterreeves.com/tools-and-chemicals/imidacloprid-will-not-kill-spider-mites2/

I'm a bit on a soapbox about insecticides especially because many of my neighbors use InsectMist -- a company that sprays insecticides on their yards to rid them of mosquitos. I've noticed a marked reduction in bees, butterflies and fireflies in our yard (but, sadly, not of mosquitos) over the last few years, and it is hard not to draw a connection.....

Again, in my case at least, I haven't had a problem with insects brought in the house when I overwinter houseplants that I can't take care of by hosing them off, or in the worse case (though I can't recall when I last did this) using a pyrethrin spray on the plants that are actually infested, rather than treating everything wholesale whether it needs it or not. Just something to think about.

I've gotten fascinated with bees, and I'm looking into beekeeping.... I love watching bees dance in our flowers. Have any one you done any beekeeping?

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Happy--

I get to watch bees on flowers of all kinds while i water all the tables
at HD. it is my pastime....what else can i do as I water EACH pot of
hundreds of pots every day I am working. Kind of...mindless work...

There are so many bees and Bumblebees all over. I ignore them--and they
ignore me. In the end--it is a pleasant way to pass the time....
I see what plants we carry--and what they are called--it is NOT boring work.

For those that fear bees nearby---I can tell you that if you just do your thing.
..calmly..no bee will bother you. Many times i have to almost brush them
aside with the watering wand so i can get to the pots.

There is also one Monarch B-fly that visits our tables. At least when I am there...
There are so many flowering plants they love--but mostly they just flit from one
to another.... picky...picky....
I have one in my yard s well...don't always see it every day.

Gita

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

I agree -- bees are not aggressive when they have delicious flowers to munch on! I swat them away all the time with no ill effects.

I had a minor interesting bee observation today, follow me to Bugging You thread...

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.