Daylily Hybridizers..

BELLEVILLE, IL(Zone 6b)

Whats your favorite Daylilies to use for Pod, Pollen Parents, and why??? Good Increaser, Large Bud Count, Late Bloomer, Just like the colors? Wanted Teeth? Possibilities are Endless!!! Just curious how everyone goes about it :)

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

Oh gosh, I could name a lot. I hybridize mostly for diploid spiders and I love using Starman's Quest, Stargate Portal, Gudrid, Sexy Sally, Magic of Oz, Brushed by Bluebirds, Galaxy Explosion and a couple of my own, Phenomenal Phoenix and Rebekah's Gothic Spider. I do a few tets also and Spacecoast Starburst and Spacecoast Easy Rider are very fertile, as well as Darla Anita, Old King Cole, Palace Garden Beauty, Serena Dark Horse, Bangkok Bay and Forestlake Ragamuffin. I got Happy Happy and Lillians Vapor Trail this year and I will look forward to using them next summer.

BELLEVILLE, IL(Zone 6b)

Do you pick by fertility?

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

Yes, I try to pick fertile plants for hybridizing but I also pick for the look and scape size as well. I just do not like short scapes. Scapes have to be minimum 26" for me to consider it.

BELLEVILLE, IL(Zone 6b)

Makes sense :), Iv been crossing for teeth all this year. Im so excited to see these seedlings when they bloom. Waiting is the hard part haha. Def been wondering about starting these is the fall and growing all winter..just to see if I can trick them into blooming

Wyoming, MN

I limit my purchases to a minimum of 24" scapes. I really dislike having beautiful floweres lost in the foliage. I do have a few like that but they were early purchases. This is only their first year here, but non of the Harry plants I purchased have had tall stems. I hope they correct themselves next year. I love Notify Ground Crew it can look me in the face at 6' Lol

Gary

BELLEVILLE, IL(Zone 6b)

thanks for the Input Gary! I have all sizes, but Iv been lucky enough to not have to worry about that as of yet. Most of the beds were empty, so Iv just been getting what I like and plant by size haha. Know what your saying about settling in, I expect they will be better next year as cute as a 5'' scape is lol. Ill have to get a pic of this little booger when it blooms. Get any pics of NGC? Sure it aint a sunflower!? lol jk

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.