Hibiscus laevis

(Zone 5a)

I just discovered this forum. Normally, I do not look at the specific plant forums, but I was curious and yep... I found Hibiscus.

I did not used to grow much and the little I did rarely turned out well. Then I built up to veggies and sometimes things grew, sometimes not. We use no chemicals, but try different organic methods. But then, uh oh... I discovered birds. I am just enthralled with them and they are a constant distraction. :) This lead to noticing bugs, etc and so on.

Now I am interested in actually trying to plant things. Mostly natives to North America. I tend to buy bare roots or plugs, plant them in various spots around the yard and see how they do. Some thrive, others don't, but I can plant more of what does well. Now that I pay attention to what prefers our soil type, I hope I can do better.

This year, since planting some native hibiscus (Halberd-Leaved Rose Mallow) in 2012, they bloomed for the first time. The leaves started looking sickly (first photo), so I thought the plants were goners again (This happened last year, too) but what a surprise! The little bees seem to really like this. People have suggested transplanting to a drier area or give micro-nutrients. I did some reading up on transplanting hibiscus, and I do not think so. If I want to try a different spot, I'll get some plugs.

I may have a hard time finding a dry enough spot where I can see the blooms from the house. I can go out back; we have a few acres to play with. The last photo shows what a good rain will do to our yard area. Our house stays dry, but we are surrounded with water. It seems to drain fairly quickly, though.

Thumbnail by Chillybean Thumbnail by Chillybean Thumbnail by Chillybean
(Zone 5a)

Just popping on a photo of this opening up. I really like the color before it fades.

Thumbnail by Chillybean
(Zone 5a)

I discovered a nasty on this plant. It seems the corn is not enough for them, so the Northern Corn Rootworm adults (which are a small beetle) go after any variety of sunflower and also hibiscus to eat all the pollen. I am not sure what other parts as they get deep into sunflowers and the seeds never form. I find the rootworms in the closed up Rose Mallow blossoms, doing or eating who knows what.

When this Rose Mallow first bloomed, we had bumbles pollinating, but now they cannot get to the flowers early enough. I squish and knock the rootworms into soapy water. Are there any other non-chemical controls for these bugs?? I have used pheromone traps for other bugs in the past, but they also caught beneficials, so I do not use those any more.

I hope someone reads this. I've noticed this forum doesn't seem very active.
Thank you for any help. I've included a picture, so you know what they look like. They start out almost tan, but turn brighter green as they age. They are about 1/4 inch long.

Thumbnail by Chillybean

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.