Obtaining BindWeed Mites

Friendship, WI

I'm in central Wisconsin and I'm having a HUGE problem with Bindweed (perennial morning glory). If any of you have had it, you know it's got to be the worst invasive weed in a perennial garden, or any other garden or field. You can pull it all you want, spot spray it, use vinegar, and it will just keep coming back.

The states of Colorado, Texas, Kansas and some others have Aceria malherbae, which is the bindweed mite that they distribute to local residents. If you Google it, you can read more about it. While it will take several years to do good damage to the bindweed, and works better without watering area, once an area is infected one can take branches or leaves from the infected vine and spread it in the garden to introduce more Aceria malherbae into the area.

I recently was on the phone with a botanist from the State of Wisconsin during a NPR program broadcast. While she agreed it's her most disliked weed, she knew nothing of the bindweed mite or where to obtain it.

If anyone lives in a state where these are available I would like to get a supply. Please PM me.

Dave
"Still Gardening by the Acre"

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Go online and look up contact info for the main Extension Service office in one of the states you named. Someone there should be able to guide you to a source. Just googled and suggest you try this: http://www.texasagriculture.gov/regulatoryprograms/organics.aspx , and check out links and resources.

Friendship, WI

Thanks. That would be fine if I lived in Texas, but I'm in Wisconsin and DNR or Extension Services never heard of Bindweed Mites. I need to find a source that I can buy from out of state.

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Please re-read my post "Go online and look up contact info for the main Extension Service office in one of the states you named." (like Colorado, Texas, Kansas) Just because you are out of state doesn't mean they won't talk to you,

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

Just reading this today - I sure hope this quest was hugely unsuccessful.

I'd suggest the original poster talk further with scientists and professionals in the state of Wisconsin - NOT just buy a pesticide and release it into the Wisconsin environment. That would be the height of folly and irresponsibility.

This is how unintended consequences occur: by ignorance and lack of knowledge about a subject that is far more complicated than a hammer hitting a nail.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.