BAD NEWS FOR MY SEQUOIADENDRON GIGANTEUUM

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

A while back the USDA came to my house to test some plants for Sudden Oak Death because I purchased some rhodies and azaleas from Greer Gardens this spring. While I still don't have results from the samples they took, I did walk around with the USDA representative and showed her my Giant Sequoia and why I was concerned about it. Ever since its first summer, it would have some brown out of the needles, which I read was somewhat normal for east coast specimens so I didn't think much of it. This summer however, many of the stem tips have seemed to wilt and lose their green color and I've lost 6 branches so far. She took a few samples and just got back to me with the diagnosis today. It's Cercospora Sequoiae aka cercospora blight. I've been reading up on it and it seems like the only thing I can do is to spray with a copper fungicide every 7-10 days June through September during the growing season. I can do this now while it's only 10' tall but once it gets bigger, this is going to be a problem. Now I was hoping to enlist some of you opinions to see whether it was worth the work in keeping it alive or start thinking about a replacement tree.

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

Now you know why they are rare in eastern North America.

You had a good run. You get to learn about editing, and succession.

Choose wisely, Grasshopper...

Camano Island, WA(Zone 8a)

Oh, bummer. That is definitely too bad. My thoughts are to remove it and put something in there that isn't doomed to always look bad, especially since you soon won't be able to reach much of it.
VV - can you prime the pump with a few ideas?

I'm about 100% sure that Sequoiadendron4 needs no hints, ideas, nor accelerants to prime his pump.

Residents of that benevolent region of southeastern Pennsylvania are blessed with being able to grow an incredible array of woody plants. The horticultural world is his oyster; he just has to point out which pearl he'd like to cultivate.

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

Sorry Seq. I'm sure you're pretty disappointed.
But I agree with not fighting nature (too much) and growing what grows, not what I can make grow with a lot of effort. Some of that is because I've fought before and gotten tired. Since you're younger, I won't blame you if you try it awhile before giving up.

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Booo....I was hoping someone would say it was worth saving but you all have just echoed what I was thinking. Now here's a follow up question: since this blight also affects junipers and cryptomerias, is it unwise to plant one of those there? Perhaps like a calocedrus decurrens? I wasn't sure if it would be in the soil or not. If that's a possibility, I might have to go with a deciduous hardwood.

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

What do you think of a Nyssa Sylvatica as a replacement? I think I'd like to go deciduous this time around.

Lake Stevens, WA(Zone 8a)

sounds as sweet as Tupelo honey. Blazing fall color too.

ditto the amazing scarlet, but I know nothing as far as landscape use. Many seen in the woods around here.

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

I say try whatever you have a hankering to try.
My greatest horticultural treasures haven't looked nice a day in their lives.
There's tons of botanical weirdness out there just waiting to be tried out in PA.
How will any of us ever know what will grow there if no one tries it?
I have accumulated a wealth of experience about what won't grow here,
including of course sequoiadendron giganteum & calocedrus decurrens.
My wife wants me to plant petunias and marigolds so at least the yard will look decent,
but I keep expanding the data base re: plants which won't live here.
So I say just keep on exploring the fringes.
Once in a while, something actually lives and you can be the first on your block...

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Lol...first on the block...

First trees on my block:
Cedrus Atlantica
Pinus Taeda
Cercidiphyllum japonicum
Liquidambar styraciflua
Ginkgo

Only one tree other than mine:
Metasequoia glyptostroboides
Larix Laricina

Yeah my block pretty much has no imagination. Nothing but silver maples, pin oaks, white pine, and blue spruce....i.e. boring central

I think I'm going to go with the tupelo rather than experiment. As much as I'd like a calocedrus decurrens, I think I'll go with the safer bet. I'd hate to plant something 'exotic' and waste another 4 years. I have to get a tree in there that will grow well here because I over planted my yard with trees and if it's going to have a fighting chance at getting sun, it's going to need to start growing asap. Plus the tupelo will provide food for the wildlife, which is important to me this time around. None of my other trees really have much food for birds or squirrels.

Hamilton, OH(Zone 6a)

Sequoiadendron4,

Nyssa sylvatica is a fabulous native tree that is almost unsurpassed for fall color. It is also, as you noted, a good source of food for wildlife. Nevertheless you mentioned you wanted it to grow asap and this tree is a SLOW grower. Mine has sat now for three years. Therefore, may I offer three other trees you might consider? I have had success with all three.

Cladtastis kentulea—Another wonderful native. Its bloom in the spring is in my view unsurpassed. Fall color is decent. Bark provides winter interest. The downside is you only get the bloom every other year.

Litiodendron tulipifera—I planted mine the same year as my tupelo and it has grown rapidly. It is a handsome tree. Its blooms are pretty, but difficult to see from ground level. It has decent fall color. The seed pods are quite useful for decorating. A plus—this tree is the host plant for the tiger swallowtail. A possible downside to this tree for you is it gets huge. It grows to be the second largest tree east of the Rockies.

Taxodiun distichum—if you want to keep the same “look” as the Sequoiadendron Giganteuum, , this might fit the bill. It is deciduous, but also a conifer. Its needles turn cinnamon in the fall.

All three of this appear to be trees not grown by your neighbors.

Happy planting!

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

You're right in that all are beautiful trees and none are grown by my neighbors. I really like the Cladrastis kentukea but a local nursery only has 3"+ caliper trees and I'm not trying to spend that much money on it. The tulip tree is out because it gets too big, I know my wife won't go for that one but I do love those trees. The bald cypress is out too just as a personal preference because I already have a dawn redwood and I don't think the bald cypress is as pretty as that. The black tupelo I looked at, at a local nursery yesterday has been in a pot all summer and still managed to grow 12" on the lateral branches but I couldn't see how much on the leader. That is an acceptable growth rate for me. All my other trees are faster growing but there should be enough sun for this guy to grow up. A different nursery that I might get the tupelo from has them in the ground and they need to be dug. I was concerned about that though because I've been reading that they have a taproot and they might get damaged in the digging/replanting process. Any thoughts on that? Thanks for the suggestions!

Hamilton, OH(Zone 6a)

The Tupelo I planted was container grown, so I have not had experience with tap root issues. From what I read, caution would be prudent.

I think it is cool that you have planted so many varieties of trees.

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

How fast does your Yellowwood grow?

Hamilton, OH(Zone 6a)

Sequoiadendron4,

The growth of my yellowwoods is an interesting saga. I have planted two on this property. The first was a large caliper one planted in 2000. That tree had virtually no growth until 2011. It did bloom on alternate years. In 2010 I discovered a large fungus had emerged from the base of the trunk. Shoots had been coming up from the base of that tree for several years on the other side and I had been nipping them off. In 2011 I allowed one of those to remain. In 2012 that shoot took off like gang busters and it is now nearly as large as the original tree—probably ten or so feet.

The second was a small caliper tree I planted in the fall 2009. It has its own problem in that a deer got to it during the winter of 2010. However, it recovered from this attack and has been growing rapidly. It is now larger than the first tree, about fifteen feet.

In my opinion, purchasing large caliper trees is a complete waste of money. Here is my theory. Large caliper trees have sustained significant root damage when they are dug. They therefore spent the first few year’s energy on the root system at the expense of top growth. Small caliper trees sustain some shock in transplanting. But, they recover in the root system much more quickly and begin to spent energy on top growth much sooner. They can catch and even pass their large caliper brethren in a short period of time.

This is just a theory based on casual observation. I have seen no research to back this up. Perhaps someone more knowledgeable on this board will debunk it.

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

No, you're correct about large vs. small trees for sure. Quite a story about the Yellowwood for sure. I think I'm pretty set on the tupelo though. I've read that the Yellowwoods can split if they aren't pruned properly in their early years.

Hamilton, OH(Zone 6a)

Sounds like you are making a great choice with the Tupelo.. I hope it give you a lifetime of enjoyment. The have some large ones at Spring Grove in Cincinnati. They are show stoppers in the fall.

I approve, Jeff. What more do you need to know (chuckle)

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Man, part of me is now thinking tall shrubs might be nicer....oh the decisions. I'm going to look at a tupelo this weekend so we'll see what happens.

Tall shrubs.

Color.

Imagine the possibilities...

Thumbnail by ViburnumValley Thumbnail by ViburnumValley Thumbnail by ViburnumValley Thumbnail by ViburnumValley Thumbnail by ViburnumValley
Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

Sequoia, I am so sorry to hear about your Sequoiadendron giganteuum; I know that tree meant a lot to you. I hope she doesn't come back with more bad news about your Rhododendrons.

About that 3" caliper tree...perhaps you could see if they'd give you a big discount, maybe 50%? I don't know about your area, but garden centers around here try to get rid of stock during the fall.

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Nice pics VV!! No doubt they are viburnums in the silhouette?

Yeah Muddy, pretty lame news and it's disappointing but I try not to let it get me down too bad. Something I learned from an old Jeep saying back in my teens: Jeeps don't break, they provide opportunities to upgrade. I have a similar outlook on plants when they die or get sick. Not to mention I get much joy in figuring out new plants to get. So while next weekend, my beloved Sequoia will R.I.P., it will be replaced with two Viburnum lantana 'Mohican' (these will pollinate my two Alleghanys), a Viburnum dilatatum 'Cardinal Candy' (this will help pollinate my 'Erie'), and two Cotoneaster franchetii. I've been really in to berries lately so these will fit in nicely.

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

It sounds as if you found the perfect shrubs to take its place. Your yard will be very popular with the birds.

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Thanks Muddy, I hope so :)

Grants Pass, OR(Zone 8a)

In your climate I might consider a Dawn Redwood, which btw is deciduous.

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

I have one :) Thanks for the suggestion though!

(Robin) Blissfield, MI(Zone 6a)

Sequoia, so sorry about the demise of your namesake. As Muddy mentioned, we all knew she was your pride and joy.

Looking forward to those Viburnums pics anyway.

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Thanks Mipii, I think when I cut it down this weekend I'm going to save a piece of it's trunk as a memento. Silly to non plant lovers but I'm sure you all can understand where I come from :)

A slice of that trunk would make a gorgeous table top...and other stuff too (I like woodworking).

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Haha...it would be a table top for a mouse then because it's only 10' tall. It might be a 3" caliper at the base.

a drink coaster!

Save a hunk and make a bird suet feeder from it by drilling holes then stuffing with suet mix or peanut butter.

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Oh that's an awesome idea Sally, I didn't even think of that! I just might do that one :) Thanks!

Lol, three inch caliper...

Somehow I was thinking Giganteum...he, he. Ah well, there's always fairy garden furniture too. It's probably better to execute Miss Sally's awesome idea.

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Lol....I would find it hard (being a man) to have a fairy garden. 0-2 Mipii ;-}

p.s. no offense to any men out there with a fairy garden!

Grants Pass, OR(Zone 8a)

Sequoiadendron4,

In my case it's: "We" have a fairy garden and I have a vegetable garden.

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

LOL...fair enough Oregon :)

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Here's some pics

Thumbnail by Sequoiadendron4 Thumbnail by Sequoiadendron4 Thumbnail by Sequoiadendron4 Thumbnail by Sequoiadendron4 Thumbnail by Sequoiadendron4
Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

So I can't edit my post but the first two pics are of my late ailing Sequoia. Third pic are the 9 shrubs that I got to replace it and yes, I bought too many. Fourth pic is the empty spot and lastly a mostly complete project. I just have to throw down some mulch. The greens that may look like weeds from this distance in the last pic are meehania cordata, which I'm hoping will still grow without the tree providing shade.

The plant list:

2 Ilex verticillata 'Winter Red'
2 Ilex verticillata 'Southern Gentleman'
2 Viburnum lantana 'Mohican'
2 Cotoneaster franchetti
1 Viburnum dilatatum 'Cardinal Candy'

The Mohican Vibs should pollinate my two 'Alleghany' and the 'Cardinal Candy' should pollinate my 'Erie'. Now if I could just get my hands on an 'Iroquois' for my 'Michael Dodge'......

must have been hard to cut your beloved tree.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.