Snakes - Not for the squeamish

Monkton, MD(Zone 6b)

Today I saw the strangest thing by our door - it is a cool day here and the snakes are taking advantage of the warmth against the wall. I have never seen snakes do this and I always thought the big snakes would eat the little ones.

The first on should be called - "It's not snake repellant" the second one Spider living very dangerously (I didn't even see that until I looked at the photos on the computer)

Thumbnail by ottahand7 Thumbnail by ottahand7 Thumbnail by ottahand7
Columbus, GA(Zone 8a)

Aren't those Garter snakes?

Hack

Pueblo, CO(Zone 5b)

Yes, those are Garter snakes. They give live birth, so I have seen clusters of tiny ones, but the ones in the photos aren't babies. So it must be love. Or a hibernation den? Rattlesnakes will return to a group hibernation spot, but I don't know if Garter snakes do.

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

great photos!

Winter Springs, FL(Zone 9b)

That's just cool. Great photos.

Monkton, MD(Zone 6b)

I haven't been on lately but I think that the Garter Snakes were just basking along the wall and bunched up. We had a lot of them last year. Here is another one not for the squeamish, I saw that a lot last summer - enough to see it when carrying my camera.

Thumbnail by ottahand7 Thumbnail by ottahand7
Decatur, GA

Yew, I hate pictures of snakes swallowing things. But anyway, its hard to imagine how that snake got that big frog down its gullet!

(Zone 5a)

I've been trying to find snakes, but so far the only one I've seen this year was caught by a Kestrel. They ate snakes last year, too. I guess that makes up for snakes eating the frogs...

Decatur, GA

My understanding is if you don't see snakes you probably don't have many rodents in the vicinity, which I consider a good thing. Also if something is preying on the snakes there would be fewer of them too.
With the increase of birds of prey and coyotes in my intown Atlanta neighborhood the squirrels, rabbits and chipmunks populations are greatly reduced. Suites me.
It is a dog eat dog, snake eat rodent, kestrel eat snake type of world.
Helen

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.