This is overtaking our NC woods.

Decatur, GA(Zone 7b)

The seeds look to me like Beggar's Lice but without the fuzzy velcro like hairs. The leaves look like a smaller version of kudzu and the vines are tiny but vigorous. Does anyone know what it is?

Thumbnail by back40bean Thumbnail by back40bean Thumbnail by back40bean
Bella Vista, AR(Zone 6b)

possibly the butterfly pea vine?

Decatur, GA(Zone 7b)

Thanks JulieQ. I looked that up and I believe this is different. The stems on what I'm seeing are tiny and the flower is less significant. I don't think anyone would ever intentionally plant this one. I know it's hard to tell from my pics. I took quite a few hoping to get better views. I appreciate your help.

Powder Springs, GA(Zone 7b)

Desmodium (Beggar lice).

Decatur, GA(Zone 7b)

Well, OK, hcmcdole, and thanks. That's what I wondered when I saw the seed, but these were smooth, meaning they didn't attach themselves to me or my clothes. That is, it is not the Beggar/s Lice with which I am familiar. Also, I have been frustrated by how aggressive this tiny vine is. I've searched and I wonder if this could be Desmodium nudiflorum? I wonder if anyone has heard any recent news of this plant? Thanks for your help.

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Is it truly a vine as opposed to being slender? The plants in the photos do not appear to be. Do the flower stalks bear any foliage, or do they arise separately from the ground, sans leaves? Quick and easy determination. If the latter case, then it would be D. nudiflorum.

Decatur, GA(Zone 7b)

Thanks for your questions greenthumb99. I don't think the flower stalks have any leaves and that's why I wondered about D. nudiflorum. How do I tell if it is truly a vine? I don't think it has tendrils but it grows on tiny stems and wraps itself around other plants' stems to climb and cover them. It has stolons or rhizomes or both and maybe what I'm calling stems are really stolons. I'll be back in NC in a week or so and I'll try to pay closer attention although, as you can see, I'm not too clear on my terminology. Does any of this make sense or help in any way? Is is common for
D. nudiflorum to climb and cover other plants? Thanks for any help.

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

We have lots of D. nudiflorum on our property. While slender and wispy, it does not climb on other plants. Again, your photos do not show vine characteristics. When you go back, remove a flower stalk all the way to the ground along with any attached parts. Take a photo clearly showing "layout" of the plant. If leaves are on a separate stem, do the same with it. Get a close-up of leaf attachment to main stem, clearly showing whether the stem is smooth or fuzzy/hairy.

Decatur, GA(Zone 7b)

Thanks so much. I'll do that.

Decatur, GA(Zone 7b)

OK, so I've been looking at 2 different plants. Pardon my inexperience. The 5th pic may indeed be D. nudiflorum and we have a lot of it. What is more of a problem is the other plant. In the first 2 pics I'm trying to capture how many tiny stems are on the plant. Third pic is a plant and root. Fourth pic a larger plant and root. Thanks for any help.

Thumbnail by back40bean Thumbnail by back40bean Thumbnail by back40bean Thumbnail by back40bean Thumbnail by back40bean
Decatur, GA(Zone 7b)

JulieQ, I was wondering if I had found butterfly pea vine but after looking at pics of the native species, Clitoria mariana, I'm not so sure. Here's a pic of what I have. Are you familiar with the plant? The leaves on mine are more rounded than what expect from the pics I've seen.

Thumbnail by back40bean
Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

The plant in your first several photos looks like Amphicarpaea bracteata (Hogpeanut):

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/165630/
http://www.illinoiswildflowers.info/savanna/plants/hog_peanut.html

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

These are photos are of Amphicarpaea bracteata growing near me. Note that there is some variation in the leaf shape, with some rounder than the other. That made it hard for me to identify it when I first found it, because the photos of hog peanut vines I saw online showed slightly different leaf shapes.

Thumbnail by Muddy1 Thumbnail by Muddy1
Decatur, GA(Zone 7b)

Thank you very much, Muddy1. You've made my day.

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

You're welcome! In the woods near my house, hogpeanut vines help crowd out the Japanese Stiltgrass, and they don't spread very much. I can see how they would be a problem if they crowd out other native plants.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.