wasp or hornets nest...not in view but IN MY WALLS

Roslyn, United States

I dont know where to post. I have a nest of wasps or hornets that live inside my bedroom wall. I see them outside going into an area under my deck that has some holes. Tried spray at night, day and plugging the area with cotton balls but they still seem to get in and not die. Trying for 2 weeks and went through 5 cans of killer spray. It only kills on contact and cant get inside the hole. Suggestions?

Mesquite, TX

You might try a fogger instead of spray if you have access to the area. Of course, read the label first to see if wasps are listed in the species affected by whatever active ingredient is contained in the spray.
I typically use broad spectrum pesticides only as a very last resort but at times, you have to do what you have to do...
Steve

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7a)

Last year I discovered hornets inside our back wall. Their hole was around the
outside water faucet connection and they were on the attack each time I tried to turn
on that faucet. We did use a pressurized can of hornet spray that killed off the nest.
The hornets flew out the hole and quickly died, including the huge Queens. Once hornets
stopped pouring out the hole we then quickly sealed the hole with a thick plastic spray
sealer gel that solidified and prevented anything from getting in or out. We got both
products at Lowe's.

Do protect yourself with heavy gloves, glasses, cover your head and wear long
sleeves when messing with hornets. If you can't solve this yourself it's best to invest
in an exterminator. You do not want hornets to get inside your house!

Contra Costa County, CA(Zone 9b)

I used to do this several years ago.

Most bees and relatives do not fly at night, or when it is cold.
I would do this in the early hours of the morning, when it is still dark and coldest.
Wear protective gear, and do not show a light. They can fly toward the light.
The fogger you can buy that you set off in your home for insects can work. Read the label. Usually there will be a caution about not using near honeybees. If it will kill honeybees, it will kill their distant relatives.
The other option is a material that can be sprayed from as much as 20' away. I never had much luck at 20', but it is pretty accurate at 10'. But it does not fog inside the hole.
Whichever you use, get as close to the hole as you can and hold the trigger on with the product spraying into the hole. Do not breath the product. (This is tricky. I would take a few deep breaths before triggering it, then hold my breath)

If you then have a can of the expanding foam filler that can be used, but I usually patched the hole with mortar if it was in stucco or concrete of any sort, or caulking if it was wood.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.