Plant wilting

Nashville, TN(Zone 6b)

This is a picture I made last weekend of a hanging basket in my yard. Today it's wilting and looks like all the plants are dying. Any idea what could suddenly kill such a healthy plant? It's been hanging there since May. I checked for moisture, bird nest and see nothing wrong or different.

Thumbnail by picabo
Nashville, TN(Zone 6b)

I just checked on the plants. This photo shows a shot from last week and another shot this morning from about the same place. What a change seemed to happen overnight.

Thumbnail by picabo
Powder Springs, GA(Zone 7b)

It is either dry or staying too wet (rot setting in).

Nashville, TN(Zone 6b)

Thank you hcmcdole. It's been so hot it could have gotten dry, but I usually water every morning. I first though root rot. With the Begonia, potato vine and the ferns all wilting at the same time I ruled that out. I sprayed with Miracle gro a few days before it wilted, but I do that every two weeks and there has never been a problem. No other containers or plants were bothered.
Think I'll repot today and clean the roots just in case.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

I suspected that it could be due to heat stress? It has been so hot, even though you water it daily, with the broad leaves, was the soil saturated? Just a thought. Jim and I were just talking about you just the other day. How are you and family?
Kim

Nashville, TN(Zone 6b)

Hi Kim' Good to hear from you. Roy was also asking about you and Jim last week.
Roy is still staying busy with his computer and I spend my time painting and gardening.

The children are all on Facebook and I keep up with them on there.
Lyn is still painting and writing her Blog wandermuse.blogspot.com she is such a gifted person so proud of her. She is living in Montana now. Grand daughter Sophie is still showing Jumping horses and writes articles for two magazines on horses. The Grandsons are non stop busy.

My flowers are not doing well this year so many people seem to have the same complaint. I am looking forward to Fall.

How are you and Jim? Tell him hello, love to see you again.
Betty

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Hi Betty, I'm glad to hear you and family are doing well. Please tell Roy Jim and I said hi. We've been busy. We made the trip to Huntsville Botanical Garden today tried to unwind and relax some. Will keep touch.
Kim

p.s. I've been keeping watch on the containers planting this year. They wilt easily if I forget to keep the container saturated with water. I use a hose to make sure that they get enough water every evening.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Nashville, TN(Zone 6b)

Thanks Kim.

Such a balancing act between too much water and not enough.

It looks like its coming back, I think the old leaves are gone. I talked with two local garden centers They ask about fertilizer and I told them I use MiracleGro in the hose end feeder. They both said that Could be the problem. They said that in a basket that product tends to build up salt from the fertilizer. They both recommended a pellet product and said to water it in. They said the hose end Miracle Gro was fine for gardens just not as good for baskets or container plants. Learn something new every day.

I have found signs of Broad mites on one of my Brugs. What do you use to treat or have you ever had a problem? The County Ag Dept suggested Avid and I bought some but after reading how toxic it is I am almost afraid of it. I am going to ask on the Brug page.

Love your photo of the Gloriosa lily. Mine have just finished blooming.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Betty, fertilizing baskets and containers too poses a problem for us gardeners; I have came to realize. So I learned to water my containers a day before I planned to fertilize them, especially during the hot days of summer. Doing so I avoid potential roots burn causes by fertilizer, I think.

As far as broad mites on brugs. I only encounter those pesky mites when the brugs are indoor with less air circulation, even though I set up fans in the basement where I winterize my brugs. I found most often when I moved the brugs outdoor, mother nature pretty much take care of them. No chemical needed. Besides, because I enjoy butterflies gardening, chemical use is very limited here. In short, keep your brugs where they get lot of sunshine and wind that would eliminate the mites problem.

Ah, speaking of various lilies, remember the "football lily" you've given me? They bloom faithfully every spring for me, I'll send you pix of them in blooms as I can locate the photos.

This message was edited Aug 11, 2014 7:43 PM

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Nashville, TN(Zone 6b)

Thank you Kim
Here is one of my favorite Brugs blooming this morning. There are about 25 blooms opening tonight, there were only three this morning. Nights like this make all the work worthwhile.Going to have lots of cuttings this Fall.

Thumbnail by picabo
Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

Betty, I am just seeing this thread and was curious if your begonia survived the shock?

Ya'lls brugs are gorgeous!! Love that lily too...........

Nashville, TN(Zone 6b)

Thank you gen :) The begonia did survive. The leaves are still drooping but new one are coming out. I cut off a few of the droopy ones to see if they would root but no luck. The basket is still pretty even with the droopy leaves. No more MG for my baskets.

I love the Brugs but the heat has really slowed them down this year. Looking forward to Sept.

Laceys Spring, AL(Zone 7a)

Wow, how did I miss this thread? Betty and Lily - Haven't heard from either of you in such a long time and here you are!! Betty, so glad Lyn and the grandkids are doing well.

Lily, I wish I had known you were in Huntsville at the BG, I would have met you for lunch. Let me know next time you are here. Fall would be great - not so hot!

Glad to hear what your people said about the containers. I've been using some different fertilizer this year (not Miracle Grow). It's a liquid concentrate and I've been watering first and then fertilizing. Mainly so all the fertilizer wouldn't just run out the bottom. Guess I got lucky. For the most part mine have done really well but I don't have any hanging baskets either.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Hi to Genna, and OSP Glad to see both of your posting along with Betty's. Thanks OSP for the invitation. I'll keep touch, hopefully we can visit in the Fall. Betty Jim said hi to you and Roy, we need to make a trip or two to Tenn. this Fall as well. Summer has been real busy for us with immediate family around here.

I'm behind with my fertilizer schedule with container planting this year. Some of my sun-loving plants didn't get the ideal condition they need; thus no flowers. :((

Still looking out for Monarch migration through here. Visited the Huntsville Botanical Garden and the butterflies House. It was a treat. Betty, OSP, have you seen any Monarch yet?

Thumbnail by Lily_love

I haven't seen any yet, Lily. Will keep my eyes peeled. I have lantana, coneflowers, and a bunch of other stuff right outside on my patio and around the pond so I can try to spot them. Occasionally I do. The Canada geese sure have been actively flying around here the past couple of weeks though.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

I've hope that the Monarch will be here soon, looking back in year past; they arrived here around 1st week of Sept. Our summer is winding down, I love autumn, however, it doesn't seem to stay for long.

The pix is for you Betty. The 'Football Lily' back in June.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

Baskets of mixed plants are beautiful but usually have different culture requirements. Growers throw plants together for retailers with the aim of being eye catching. The assemblages are made soon before shipping so they look great when you buy the basket. They are, in fact, living floral arrangements and usually have a limited life. Begonias hate soggy soil, Ipomoeas (potato vines) like it wet and ferns have a variety of preferences but generally like to get wet and then get slightly dry. In addition, some plants tolerate having their roots crammed together and others, like ferns and begonias, don't. Best to make your own baskets of plants that are compatible or at least tolerate the same conditions and are proven in baskets.

Nashville, TN(Zone 6b)

Thank you Maypop. I think it was the liquid fertilizer this time. The Begonias are making a comeback. The Fern and Potato vine just took a few days to bounce back. I put the basket together and usually have this same or similar group. I love the Rex begonias. I think I may have watered
it with the MG twice that week. I took it out of the container and replaced as much soil as I could then washed it out real good.

Lily, I love the Football Lily. I have seen one Monarch this year. I don't even have as many Pipevine Swallowtail as usual. Lots of blooms, just not many visitors. Very few Hummingbirds either.

OP Good to hear from you. Sorry, I don't remember your name.
Betty

Hey, Betty, it's Elaine. I'm sorry I didn't answer this post earlier. Forgot about it.

I still haven't seen any Monarch's around my house, but we went to the Botanical Garden on Saturday and there were hundreds in the butterfly house. We also still have loads of hummingbirds, especially when I put out fresh nectar every week. Then the wasps start swarming a few days later.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.