CLOSED: August Chat - Late Summer Bloom chat

(Debra) Derby, KS(Zone 6a)

I can't believe we haven't had any water in the basement this summer. It is almost ready for everything.. the boys will be over this weekend to get started..
meanwhile, the natives are really going at it..

Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife
(Linda Kay) Amarill, TX(Zone 7a)

Debra, what is that plant?

giant catnip hyssop I have a huge stand of it now..
http://www.kswildflower.org/flower_details.php?flowerID=502
lots of seeds.. really a great hummer, flutterby and bee attractor.
this is my other native .. senna, gone to seed now..
summer poinsettia ( euphorbia) and snow on the mountain, also a euphorbia
last pic is elderberries, a really nice stand now, lots of berries to save too.

Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife
(Crystal) Waverly, AL

Do you make pie or jelly out of elderberries? When I visited England they made a Tom Collins with elderberry cocktail. Used Elderberry flowers, Tasted so goo. Also had the cocktail as an equavelent toLemonade at lunch.

(susie) Hastings, MI(Zone 5a)

My Brother jim just made elderberry jelly yesterday . My mom always made elderberry Pie for my dad she would put it in the freezer till Jan 25 th his birthday & then bake it :) for him :)
We have a few Bushes out back :)
Hope everyone is haven a safe weekend Been cooking & Baking all day Fish fry tomorrow eve. & then the Neighbor also .
be happy when I can lay back at 6pm :))))
Be back later More bread to take out of the oven soon .

Kansas City (Joyce), MO(Zone 5a)

Didn't garden at all today or yesterday sides water.
Went to a giant craft fair Friday with friends, had alot of fun, bought some stuff, ate alot of stuff...lol, and talked alot, then today or this afternoon we went to a car show with friends, walked and then ate some great Mexican food. hummm do you see a pattern here...lol

Hope everyone is having a great long weekend and making memories.

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

We went to a nice sized art fair onSaturday also. InSouth Haven right on the shores of Lame Michigan its a very busy shore line community. We have an employee leaving the kit hen I work in so I got her some nice smelling soap andlotion and a candle all lilac scented. She will enjoy it. We will miss her. Also had some good food and company. Have a great rest of the weekend.

Well Happ today I'm going to a fish fry over to a Missiourian's Place , he & his Friend followed me up here back in 1969 His friend & I married in 1970 Divorced in 1980 but Danny & I have been friends still to this day he is 65 yrs old today .
& No its Not the good ole cat fish from down your way :) well i don't think it will be but then I don't Know for his Brother & Sil are here from Mo so they might have brought it with them :)
I haven't seen them in yrs so looking forward to todays party:)

you all have a great day

Oh deejay maybe they brought you some of our good ole catfish...LOL
Funny how things work out. My x and I split but his sister and I are those friends you only have once in a lifetime... :) We also married in 1969...hummm maybe the sun and moon weren't in the right alignment...

Have a great day and lots of fun.

I am just playing in the yard today so I better get with it....have everyone

Mount Sterling, KY(Zone 6b)

We have rain here today, so I won't be playing outside for a while. But I have lots of projects I can do in the Garage. At least it has cooled off... it's 72 and breezy with a soft rain falling. I'll take it.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Rain here as well. We need it too. It's currently 77°.

No rain expected until tonight but we have cooled off and have overcast and a breeze so I am happy! I push mow awhile and do something else then push mow awhile...lol

Getting my stuff ready for swaps and getting ready to bring everything in....ughhhh! Hate that but when you live in MO that is part of life, drag in then drag out...LOL

I do that too, Joyce. (drag in, drag out) But I don't have to worry about it til October, usually.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Usually late October or even November here. I have rolling shelves that help a lot with that. Just roll the shelving unit into the garage over winter and then back outside come spring. I have a few other pots that I have to carry in by hand, but I've got plants and pots and things set up to where they are much more "user-friendly" now. Done with a lot of the old hassles.

That sounds like a great idea. Shelves on wheels, why didn't I think of that? Lol I think I will have to look into that. It would make things easier, for sure. Where did you get your shelving?

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Let me think about that. I've had them for several years (apparently longer than my memory).

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

I'm guessing Lowe's or Walmart.

Finally found a photo. I have another, slimmer one that has a green frame.

Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener
Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener

I have two smaller shelves similar to those, but they don't have wheels. I use them in my greenhouse to start seedlings. Those are nice shelves, I will have to look for them. Thanks for the pictures! I took a few pictures in between the showers.
'Neon' Sedum, The Crape Myrtles in the circle bed, 'Otto's Thrill' Dinnerplate Dahlia, Yellow dinnerplate Dahlia, 'Shockwave' Tall Phlox, (which the rain almost beat all the blooms off before I got a picture :(

This message was edited Aug 31, 2014 7:49 PM

Thumbnail by Nanny23 Thumbnail by Nanny23 Thumbnail by Nanny23 Thumbnail by Nanny23 Thumbnail by Nanny23

wow, looks good Nanny, and I love those rolling shelves. We lug in, and take down 13 steps. to fill this area up..still have to cover that old sectional with cloth and plastic and wood shelf on the cusions, whic got done today by my son, then he worked on the shelves and the mylar paper..
4th and 5th pic is where the fall bulbs are hiding for another couple weeks, and where the bananas will go

Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife

have a few things down there already,but a lot more to get down there, soon it will be filled.
everything in the first pic will go down there. second pic is looking at the north end. that is where the fish are, and the turtle pool..

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

Goes to show how much we cold weather gardeners love our plants. Debra you sure go thru it thats for sure. I do not grow things that need to be brought in or uprooted for the winter. Just my preference. Yours all look so nice.
Nanny your gardens are so beautiful. Love the crepe myrtel shot. Wow so very beautiful.
We are suppose to have some severe weather today. Of course its my moms birthday and we are going out for dinner right when it is going strong. Oh well should be fun a nyway.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

I can't believe it's Sept. already!

Beautiful, Nanny! Everything is looking good there too, Debra.

Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener

hummm thought I had post this. Guess not..lol

These are the shelves I have in my garden room. Please excuse the mess in the garden room. They are metal racks purchased from Costco. Just instead of being configured straight they are tiered so I can reach everything and water, sides the plants can be taller. I bought just pipe with the two curved pieces at the top to make a hanging section for the hanging plants.

My Mom had the racks like you have, we needed them to be taller so I bought copper tubing which was the same diameter as the pipe that it came with the shelf and that way we could make a section of it taller. I installed a florescent light over her African violets. She lived in an apartment and didn't have enough light so this worked.

Thumbnail by happgarden Thumbnail by happgarden

Happ,, sure like your racks. I have approximately 90 5ft long poles that I am going to make into a shelving system when we get my greenhouse / Sunroom done. So excited that the living room framing went up this morning. I will be working on the wall studs later this week!!!

Oh congrats Elfie, it feels good to see progress, doesn't it.

Wow that is a lot of pipe and so much you can do with it. I would have a good time with that.

I know!! I am excited to use them too! I plan to use a few of them as rods to hang baskets from.

Oh that is a good idea. They are just so versatile.

When I had a real greenhouse I took long pieces of copper pipe and screwed them to the wooden rafters with those 1/2 circle like hanger and hung flowers from them.

going to be fun watching the progress, Elfie, I wish I could do that. ( re-do, get new, or even build on)

just a few of my Blooms & I Need an ID of a vine

#1 is one of my Hummers On my Honeycomb BFB
#2 is my Beautyful Zinnias
#3 is ???
#4 Is one of my purple emperor
# 5 is one i need ID for not sure how it got there

Thumbnail by deejay9 Thumbnail by deejay9 Thumbnail by deejay9 Thumbnail by deejay9 Thumbnail by deejay9

Just a few more pixs love my zinnias this yr

Thumbnail by deejay9 Thumbnail by deejay9 Thumbnail by deejay9 Thumbnail by deejay9 Thumbnail by deejay9

susie, number three is lobelia "Great Blue" number 5 is purple chines hiyacynth bean ( LAbLaB)
YOUR GARDEN IS BEAUTIFUL AND LOVE THE SHOT OF THAT HUMMER.

ty Debra The rest of my gardens are full of weeds & not many Blooms , all my Blooms are up by the house for the Hummers. ya all have a nice day

Is anyone doing the September thread??

Susie that shot of the hummer is great! I have a hard time catching them on camera. They also seem to zip off beforew I can snap a good pic.

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

I sure wish I could have a sun room. I would love it. A place for lots and lots of plants!!! We do not have a full sun window. All I do is complain about not having enough sun! Sorry. I really do like my part sun yard. Now that I know what I can and can not plant.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Quote from Mud_Elf :
Is anyone doing the September thread??

Elfie, do you want to do a Sept. thread? If not, I will.

thank you nanny I was going to inter it in the contest but then figure it is to late. this was just a accident was just taken pics & he happen to come into view:)

Is everyone getting ads at the bottom of this page? Have they always been there or is it something new? Maybe I just now noticed them lol.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.