CLOSED: August Chat - Late Summer Bloom chat

(Carey) Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

The hottest part of summer can lead to the hottest blooms!
Pictured: Crinum Lily, Pink Gaura, Candy Stripes Geranium

Thumbnail by careyana Thumbnail by careyana Thumbnail by careyana
Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Thanks for the new room, Carey. Your flowers are gorgeous! I love Crinums.

Not all are blooming but some are pretty houseplants. I need to go outside and take more pictures but it has been hot.

Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener

I got blooms,,, but it is just to hot to take pictures.

(Linda Kay) Amarill, TX(Zone 7a)

Thanks for the new room Carey! Love all the hot August blooms!

Kansas City (Joyce), MO(Zone 5a)

We got 3 + inches of rain last night! That is a lot of water. It was cool today thank goodness.

Love the blooms! Wish I could grow crinums. So pretty. My surprise lilies are blooming.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

It's raining here as we speak. Yay!

I want some rain!!!

I want some rain too!

Wish I could send u some. I feel for u. Wish I could send u some of the cooler temps also. We r suppose to get more.

It was 104 today! 10:17 at night, and it is still 99!

(Debra) Derby, KS(Zone 6a)

ugh! I am for sure coming to texas in November, LK, it has been told to me there is no excuse for not going now, My sis in law found a house in SanAntonio. *sigh* I will miss her terribly, so I know I will be driving down there a lot.

Beautiful blooms, all of you, it rained while I selpt thru it last night, and was cool this am, but steamy tonight. Cya all in the am.. I'm going to bed.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Good night and good morning!

It's raining here now as well. We needed it.

Looking forward to seeing you in November Debra!

Beautiful so far this morning. Wow Linda Kay that temp takes the fun out of playing outside. Glad some of u got rain finally.

Had to get up at 4. I am out of practice. Thank goodness...lol

No playing outside, unless it is before the sun comes up!

Why were you up at 4?

I got up went outside to do some work and decided it was just to hot. So I drag out the popup canopy to cover t he work area. Everything was rusted up. Ended up using a sledge hammer and wd40 to get it up. Then I was just so hot I only cut a couple of wood and then decided to come in the house. It is 94 degrees in my yard and not much cooler in the house. I skipped the gym this morning and am really regretting that. I could just float in a pool all day right now if I had one..

Debra how far from me are you?

Just wanted to let everyone know, that we are so thankful for all your prayers for my Dad. He came through surgery just fine, and is being returned to the nursing home this afternoon. It is a skilled nursing home, so the staff will be there to keep an eye on him!

Kris, Debra is in Kansas. Google maps says it is about 13 hours and 37 minutes.

Yup.. I looked. We are both just about the same distance from you...lol

Good news about your Dad!!!!

GREAT news LK! So glad things went well for him!

I hear you on the heat Elfie. 102 today and forecasting the same till at least Wednesday next week. Time for daily waterings!

Debra, that Hibiscus is so pretty, and the tiger lily reminds me of my grandmother. :) You always have such healthy happy plants!

Lucky on the rain Carole and Happ. Nothing for us until at least Tuesday, and it is a bake oven out there now!

thanks Carey, however, Carole and I have same tastes and same plants, hers are blooming now,
( above) mine are on the way out.. so glad everyone loves same plants as I do. We got another almost inch last night and early am, just so grateful since we usually are dry and hot as hell here in August. Kris, you and others are in my bucket list of people to meet up with before I leave this beautiful earth, just letting you know.

The little girl next door who has been battling cancer got a free and clear scan, so the whole family went to Florida for a vaca and the dogs are in our care next door. It has been a year since she was diagnosed and that was right after my sister passed.
I finally got some maypops in mail from a DG'r ( Nanny) so grateful to have them. we wil put the new arbor up this weekend while ground is wet. pulled up a small tree sized\sunflower off the corner of the house where the cannas are, and then a patch of huge daturas loaded with seed pds on the fence where the primrose is, decided five huge plants was enough here. the Cestrum is blooming and the jasmine is all bloomed again and the four o clocks and moon flowers all blooming outside right now so when I get a whiff I am grateful.
Glad your dad is doing okay, LK.
So glad I am off work this weekend.. you all have a great weekend, love you all.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

That's good news, LK. I know you are relieved. It's tough living a distance away from older relatives (or younger ones sometimes).

It's a bit cooler here but still humid. At least we've had some rain and the grass is greener. All my sagging plants have revived. A few didn't make it but I have seeds.

Love Maypops. Mine didn't survive either spot I had them planted because it got too dry. :( Maybe I'll try again. I think I have some seeds in there somewhere. Same with the Daturas.

Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener

What is a maypop?

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Passiflora incarnata.

OK, Thanks!

Debra, I picked up a white passi and Incense (the darker purple) and plan to run some chicken wire over my mailbox for them to climb and wind together. They're in pots for now and happy as clams. The white sets fruit so I'm hoping to keep the deer entertained further from the house so they leave some of my other plants alone! I will happily send you any offshoots which I'm sure there will be many!

I have the native small white variety but it's picked a really tricky spot to grow (its roots are actually growing into the limestone base) I wish I could dig one up for you but I know I'd kill it on the way. Funny because it's growing up the side of a juniper tree.

Our town does not allow plants on the mail boxes. Due to bees and such on them, too many postal workers complained, so they said no plants on the mail boxes.

hummm hadn't thought about postal workers and bees...I could see where that could be a problem especially if you are allergic!

I bought some old iron tiller wheels at a swap meet one time, painted them bright colors, twisted some tubing around the post painted green like a vine and put the the wheels on it. Someone is always running into our mailbox or the kids are playing mailbox baseball with it, but my metal vine stands up to it all.

Thumbnail by happgarden
Mount Sterling, KY(Zone 6b)

Joyce, that is really neat! I like your ingenuity!

Ohhh my,, I love that!!

You guys will like this then.

Thumbnail by happgarden
Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

Well I found you all. Some how I got seperated from the group. Lol.
Happ love the wheels especially the colorful one. Have been pretty busy lately. Went garge saling with the family last saturday. The whole thing in 200 miles long all along the US 12 highway from Detroit to Chicago. We of course did not go all that way. Just down by my pregnant daughters house. Hehe.
Got to talk to my son who is stationedat Fort Hood, Texas he says it is 105 there today. Yuck way to hot for me. But he says you knda get used to it???
Do you LK? The whole platoon is getting ready to go to Germany for 4 mos for some special traing it is all part of NATO. So off they go he is not sure when they leave but he promises he will call before they leave the country. I said well thanks! Lol. I miss him he is saving his time off for when he gets out next summer. 2 mos saved so far. He will kiss the birth of his first niece. He is bjmmed about all that for sure. Well I do not mean to bore you with all this. But I just really miss him loads.

Get used to this heat? NOT!!!!

Sending prayers for your son and his platoon!

Glad you found us. So what cool things did you find at the yard ale?

Mount Sterling, KY(Zone 6b)

Some new blooms. Yellow Dinnerplate Dahlia, Pink Vine ( the name escapes me at the moment), Yellow Tuberous begonia (still going strong) Tropicanna Black Canna, Celosia Crested Cockscomb. First we had the heat that nearly burnt everything up, no matter how often we watered it wasn't enough. Now we have the rain and it is beating the blooms off of everything. Oh well, at least I won't have to water for a few days. :)

Thumbnail by Nanny23 Thumbnail by Nanny23 Thumbnail by Nanny23 Thumbnail by Nanny23 Thumbnail by Nanny23

Those are beautiful! blooms!

2nd one is a mandevilla.

Boy if those blooms are beaten they are beautiful. My dahlias are horrible for some reason, very disappointed. I guess because it has been too cool. The blooms are small the plant is small. Our rains were good up until we had 3+ inches the blooms werent too happy about that.

gorgeous color Nanny. I love the mandevilla, but I don't grow them. Hope everyone stays safe and sound today.

This popped up in my yard

Thumbnail by Thumbnail by Thumbnail by

Ohhh. So jealous here.

Love those gourds.

Are they gourds?? I have no idea!

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.