Options for bright yellow perennials

(Zone 4b)

The kind of yellow I am thinking about is canary yellow.

For example the yellow blooms of "Moonshine" Yarrow or "Ozark Sundrops" or "Evening Primrose".

Give me your favourite canary yellows.

This message was edited Aug 7, 2014 11:13 PM

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Yellow coreopsis, yellow lilies of any kind but especially Lilium 'Citronella', 'Mammoth' sunflower, Helianthus 'Teddy Bear', Helianthus tuberosus, 'Alexander' loosestrife, Rosea banksiae lutea, Rudbeckia 'Henry Eilers', goldenrod, celandine poppy, tansy, Zizia aurea, Asclepias 'Hello Yellow', wintercress, 'Sungold' Buddleia, Canna 'Richard Wallace', euphorbia polychroma, gaillardia, forsythia.

I've probably left out a few. lol.

Hamilton, OH(Zone 6a)

You forgot daylilies. There are hundreds of yellow daylilies.
Here are a few.
Picture 1 Kindly Light
Picture 2 Free Wheelin
Picture 3 Big Bird
Picture 4 Dainty Eyes
Picture 5 Common Sense
Edited to correct #3 it was labeled wrong

This message was edited Aug 9, 2014 9:36 AM

Thumbnail by taylordaylily Thumbnail by taylordaylily Thumbnail by taylordaylily Thumbnail by taylordaylily Thumbnail by taylordaylily
Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

:)

Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener
Hamilton, OH(Zone 6a)

Great suggestions from Cville and Taylordaylily. May I add three more?

1. Helianthus x multiflorus, "Sunshine Daydream." For me this is the the most beautiful yellow flower that exists. It is a tall plant for the back of the border. The plant itself seems unaffected by disease so the leaves remain pretty. It is the first picture below.

2. Thymophylla tenuiloba, "Dahlborg Daisy." This is not a perennail, but it readily self sews so for all intents and purposes it acts like a perennial for me. It is not invasive. It is the opposite extreme from Sunshine daydream in that it is about eight inches tall. Massed, it makes a statement in the front of the border. It is the second picture below.

3. A daylily I would add to Taylordaylily's list is Joel. It is a really fabulous clear yellow. There is a picture of it in my journal, but I can't figure out how to transfer it to this D-mail.

Thumbnail by cottelpg Thumbnail by cottelpg
Hamilton, OH(Zone 6a)

Civille, Thanks, I forgot Constitutional Island. It's a great daylily.

Cotlpeg, Welcome Back! Great suggestions!

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Yes, it is.

taylor, your photos are all gorgeous daylilies!

Hamilton, OH(Zone 6a)

Thanks Civille!

Mount Sterling, KY(Zone 6b)

Love those yellows!

(Zone 4b)

Quote from cottelpg :

1. Helianthus x multiflorus, "Sunshine Daydream." For me this is the the most beautiful yellow flower that exists. It is a tall plant for the back of the border. The plant itself seems unaffected by disease so the leaves remain pretty. [/quote]

So funny you mention this as I *just* bought a couple of these plants after getting several glowing reports about it.

Can you tell me your experiences with it? How tall does it get? When does it bloom for you?

It's final size too large for me but I have been told that if one cuts it back significantly in June you will get a much smaller plant that still blooms wonderfully (albeit somewhat later)

[quote="cottelpg"]2. Thymophylla tenuiloba, "Dahlborg Daisy." This is not a perennail, but it readily self sews so for all intents and purposes it acts like a perennial for me. It is not invasive. It is the opposite extreme from Sunshine daydream in that it is about eight inches tall. Massed, it makes a statement in the front of the border.

I had not heard of this "Daisy". I will take a look more closely at this plant.

Hamilton, OH(Zone 6a)

I got my Sunshine Daydream from Lazy S'S Farm and Nursery this spring. When I put it into the ground in mid-May it was less than a foot tall. Today it is six feet tall. I have inserted a picture of the plant. It first bloomed on June 25 and has bloomed continuously ever since. As a bonus, the stems are long for cutting and they last a long time. I have never had a perennial perform this well in its first year. I plan to order more next spring.

I have read that you can cut back a Helianthus the way you described, but I have never personally tried it. By the way, there are some Dahlborg Daisies that volunteered along a path at the bottom left of the photo.

I am curious, how did you get a portion of my original message in that box into your post?

Thumbnail by cottelpg
Camano Island, WA(Zone 8a)

Quote from cottelpg :
I am curious, how did you get a portion of my original message in that box into your post?

I can help with that part.

Go to the post and look at the left side, underneath the name, location, date. Verrrry tiny letters say, "Quote."

Click on that. The box for entering your own post comes up with all of the text from the person you want to quote. Also, some brackets and text have been added at the beginning and end of the text you are quoting.

Delete whatever you want, except leave the brackets and their contents at the beginning and end.

Use Preview to make sure it looks right.

(Zone 4b)

Quote from momlady :

Go to the post and look at the left side, underneath the name, location, date. Verrrry tiny letters say, "Quote."

Click on that. The box for entering your own post comes up with all of the text from the person you want to quote.

The drawback of using "Quote" in a DG post (correct me if I am wrong) is that one is unable to insert a picture?

Hamilton, OH(Zone 6a)

My thanks to both of you!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.