Japanese beetles, mirabilis jalapa and roses

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

I had always suspected that Japanese beetles might be affected by 4 o'clocks, and now I think I have proof.

I have about a dozen roses in my front yard and beds. In my front yard, I seeded groups of mirabilis. By seeded, I mean I just pushed the seeds into the ground, and they started to grow.

We have not had that many japanese beetles this season, but when I went out, there were about a dozen of them on two of my larger four o'clocks, eating the leaves. But despite that there were numerous roses nearby, I only found one on my roses, whereas the mirabilis had been well chewed..

So I think it's pretty clear that four o'clocks are a greater lure than roses.

The roses within fifteen feet were two Marie Pavie, Dublin Bay, two Gruss an Aachen, Zephirine Droughin, Heritage, Rose Marie, Constance Spry, Enfant du France, two Morden Blush, Tess of The D'Urbervilles, Alexander MacKenzie, Marchesa Boccella and Rose de Rescht.

One Marie Pavie had ONE. There were none on the others. Several of them are highly scented.

I am also going to post this on the Rose forum.

This message was edited Aug 6, 2014 2:55 PM

This message was edited Aug 6, 2014 2:58 PM

Contra Costa County, CA(Zone 9b)

So... Plant a trap crop of Mirabilis jalapa to protect roses, then get rid of the Japanese Beetles before they attract more to the site. Perhaps add systemic insecticide to the Mirabilis jalapa.

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Check out the mirabilis. Ravaged. But the roses nearby - perfect!

They were very sluggish, by the way. There is a theory that that mirabilis is poisonous to them. I used to do this at my former home and I would find dead Japanese beetles (the only good kind) underneath.

I hadn't thought of adding a systemic. But from now on every rose I have will have these nearby. The roses were all in full sun, which those little beasties love.

Thumbnail by DonnaMack
Contra Costa County, CA(Zone 9b)

Making a 'lace leaf' variety of Mirabilis! I see you caught a pic of one of the perpetrators!

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

And then dispatched him! Into the bowl of soapy water you go!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.