I had a visitor today

West Babylon, NY(Zone 7a)

American Goldfinch decided to eat some Cosmo seeds.

Thumbnail by keithp2012
PERTH, Australia

That is so pretty.

Monkton, MD(Zone 6b)

Lovely photo!

(Zone 5a)

Pretty photo, I like the combination of yellow and purple. Often our Goldfinches leave for the summer, but we have at least two males right now. They have been making use of the Maximilian Sunflowers I planted this spring.

Aurora, CO(Zone 4a)

So - So pretty. What a great capture. We're trying to attract Goldfinches. We have the Nyjer thistle, the official 'Wild Birds Unlimited' goldfinch feeder, lots of Cosmos. There are many chickadees and downy woodpeckers at the suet feeders. Goldfinches have been spotted in the yard next door. It's September in Denver, and I'm hope we won't have to wait until Spring.

Pueblo, CO(Zone 5b)

Goldfinches like things that are bright yellow. They like sunflowers from Black Oil and wild sunflowers - it combines their favorite things, yellow and seeds.

Columbus, GA(Zone 8a)

Beautiful capture, keith

Hack

(Sallie) Cherry Vall, IL(Zone 5a)

Quote from wingwoman :
So - So pretty. What a great capture. We're trying to attract Goldfinches. We have the Nyjer thistle, the official 'Wild Birds Unlimited' goldfinch feeder, lots of Cosmos. There are many chickadees and downy woodpeckers at the suet feeders. Goldfinches have been spotted in the yard next door. It's September in Denver, and I'm hope we won't have to wait until Spring.

We first attracted Goldfinches by hanging nesting material a few years ago. Now, they come from all over our neighborhood. I've seen a female with a mouthful of cotton leave and disappear over rooftops 2 blocks away. I use the kind of bag onions or potatoes come in (the mesh kind) and stuff it with cotton balls. I secure the top, and hang it, with a velcro strip.

June 13, 2014 - female Goldfinch getting nesting material.

Thumbnail by SallieKr
Pueblo, CO(Zone 5b)

Do you have any problem with nesting material getting wet and not being usable?

Not really. It gets wet but either they don't mind, or it dries out enough. The Goldfinches can empty a bag full a week during their main breeding season.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.