Do you know what

Mesa, AZ

this is? The Harper's on McKellips is closing up and moving everything to their Hayden facility. They have had a 50% off sale going on and this is in a large, (ugly) concrete pot with a lovely gardenia and some spider plants. Not going to give them $100 for it (50% off, sure! ) but wheedled a couple soft cuttings from them. I tried to ask them to dig it out of the pot, but no dice. It is a volunteer and so far everyone there (including a couple Harper's) have no idea what it is. The leaves close up at night, the flower has no smell and they say that it does set seeds, just later in the year.
I would love to buy one or some seeds, if only I knew what it is!! If we cannot identify it, I will post it on the Identification forum, but always enjoy hearing from the 'riff raff'!

Thumbnail by Birdlady_Susie Thumbnail by Birdlady_Susie
Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

It looks like a vetch of some sort.

Keaau, HI

Maybe a Senna / Cassia.

Mesa, AZ

Thanks for the ideas. It grows into a small and delicate tree.

Prescott, AZ

Looks to me like some sort of pea or senna, or how about a locust? Thanks for posting, I learned a new word--nyctinastic--plants that close up their leaves and/or flowers at night. Please let us know what the plant ID people come up with!

Mesa, AZ

Good idea Judy, but the flower is more delicate and pink and white. The branches of the tree that they had were delicate, without a heavy bark structure. I think the leaves are smaller and finer (thinner?).

Susie

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

Susie, I had one whose flowers seemed more delicate, too, and the leaves do close at night.

Prescott, AZ

It's been awhile, but I keep your mystery plant in mind when I'm out and about. I saw one in the Native Gardens nursery that looks similar, but wasn't in bloom: New Mexico Locust. Bristly Locust is also close, but seems to have tiny bristles along the stems. Did you get one growing? How's it look?

Mesa, AZ

Unfortunately the cutting died. :(
I like the look of the Locust trees, but the leaves are way too big... the one photo shows the leaves to be about 1" long. The leaves on this plant are only about 1/4" long, like your pinkie fingernail in size and shape. The flowers are about the same size.

I am going to go to the nursery again, perhaps I can sweet talk another cutting from them...

Sun Lakes, AZ(Zone 9b)

Susie: I think it is a pink form of Caesalpinia pulcherrima. I never knew there was a pink form until this summer when a Facebook friend put up a picture of his.

Mesa, AZ

Hi Nancy-
I have had the pink form of Caesalpinia pulcherrima, this plant is much more delicate and the flowers are tiny in comparison. Thanks for trying!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.