Garden Views

Hollis, NH

Here are a few pictures of my primary perennial and cutting beds. Am moving around plants today and reducing the number of black eyed susans in the bed - replacing with echinops and phlox for now. Would love to see other garden pictures.

Thumbnail by Lauranh Thumbnail by Lauranh Thumbnail by Lauranh
Thomaston, CT

Very pretty, Laura......I like the sea holly! Don't like the thorns, though. Here's one of my beds taken from the office window....not much color because my phlox aren't in bloom yet....I see that they are just starting......

Thumbnail by ROBINDOG
Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

hi laura - have posted many garden views over the past several years will see if I can did some up later tonight. we are pretty close to each other.

Lexington, MA(Zone 6a)

Very nice gardens, Laura. I'll post some wide shots in a bit. Since I have been laid up, that way the weeds are less visible anyway. What are some of your gardening goals? I am moving plants out of an area after they bloom so we can dig there next year. I am always the optimist about things like that.

Stroudsburg, PA(Zone 6a)

Beautiful gardens,Laura! I love the rocks interspersed throughout. They make the bed look so grounded.

Here are a couple pictures of one of my gardens taken Sunday.

Thumbnail by rteets Thumbnail by rteets
Thomaston, CT

Wow....so nice & neat....cannot show any gardens right now as I've not weeded in 5 weeks due to my new pup!

Lexington, MA(Zone 6a)

Ditto here! It is humbling to see what happens when you can't tend the garden. There is a saying that you can't grow wonderful grass and wonderful children at the same time. I'm extending that to having a wonderful garden and taking care of yourself too. It's slowly becoming possible to bend again and be outside in the sun after caring for a 20-year medical issue. DH wants to help install irrigation, also, but the demands on his time are significant.

Thomaston, CT

Glad you're starting to feel better, Rosemary! I weeded 2 gardens.....that's probably it for this summer!

Lexington, MA(Zone 6a)

Thanks. I pay for it if I get too enthusiastic. I realize its because of the anesthesia as much as anything. Next summer ought to be fine for continuing the projects. I am weeding where there will be a big hole for all the conifers and a few hollies in pots to overwinter and around anything newly planted. The rest has to fight it out.

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

hot out there the last two days and lots of trimming and weeding done.

Thomaston, CT

Too hot for me......I'm not doing anything in the gardens except hoping the deer don't eat my roses before I need to pick them for the fair on Thursday.....

Lexington, MA(Zone 6a)

I can look at it from the window. At least the ROS is in bloom as well as salvia black and blue and I like the contrast of the yellow-lime leafed hostas. The magnolias look very healthy too with their shiny green and bronze leaves. I failed to get DS to mow the lawn before school starts tomorrow :( His apartment move in is this weekend and it's going to be spacious and quiet for studying, we hope.

Thomaston, CT

I have salvia black & blue also....it's in my herb garden with 5 other salvias....the hummers love them! Sounds like DS will be happy in his apt! My son shared an apt at Uconn with Scott, a friend from town, Bethany, a former student of mine & Bethany's cousin, Sherrie.......Sherrie had a sister, Kara, but Garret never met her until he graduated...& then he married her! So, you never know!

Lexington, MA(Zone 6a)

Love your story, Marilyn! My Ds currently has nothing to do with girls, but his two sisters both have pretty serious boyfriends. You never know how things will work out!

Thomaston, CT

Garret had been in a relationship his last year of high school, & through most of college....it was one of my former students who was a bright girl, but very manipulative.....his Dad & I couldn't say anything, but he found out the hard way, & made a very good decision in marrying Kara!

Lexington, MA(Zone 6a)

Teachers' kids always think they know what their parents are thinking anyway. i know cause i am one. It takes a lot of patience for a parent not to interfere, but clearly the end result was worth the wait for you Marilyn!

Thomaston, CT

Yes, but some hairy moments in between! DH & I learned not to push any girl, & not to say anything negative....however, we would get some comments in that showed how we felt!

Lexington, MA(Zone 6a)

It's never easy to be a good parent is it?

Thomaston, CT

Nope.....not even a dog parent.....

(Pam) Warren, CT(Zone 5b)

I just found this thread. Lovely pictures...

Laura, your first picture reminds me of my Falling Down Wall. I have the feeling that yours is more solid rock, mine was always meant to be a garden. Still, it's surprising how many plants thrive with limited root space. The Hostas in my wall are all volunteers. I would never have thought to put them there on my own. Pics are from May, July, September.

Thumbnail by Pfg Thumbnail by Pfg Thumbnail by Pfg
Natick, MA

Looking at your gardens with envy....the rocks really add interest
Robin/ rosemary: you said it ('re parenting) ..human and dog parenting!
My 15 yr old which tzu has major eye ulcer...treating w multi drops several times a day and fights it every time! Makes dealing with dear son's relationship easier!! :-)

Lexington, MA(Zone 6a)

Ouch! The drops must be very unpleasant.

A few views here.

Thumbnail by RosemaryK Thumbnail by RosemaryK Thumbnail by RosemaryK Thumbnail by RosemaryK Thumbnail by RosemaryK
Thomaston, CT

Nice to see the progressions of the gardens.....my Montauk daisies look the nicest right now along with daisy chrysanths......the roses are also putting on a second show....

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

Here are some fall yard views from this week.

Thumbnail by wha Thumbnail by wha Thumbnail by wha Thumbnail by wha Thumbnail by wha
Natick, MA

Rosemary, are these all blooming in your garden now? Lovely! Are the lilies considered "tree lilies"? I just bought 5 of them and they just arrived to plant, as well as some other reg. lilies. Ordered for fall from another place back in July, lillies arrived 8/1, so planted them, so I have Oct. lily blooms also. So sorry to hear about your car accident, hope you will be feeling ALOT better soon and able to do more. I have been there (not car accident, but back issues) and it's NO fun! Lovely photos of your garden...and what are the purple flowers? And you have IRIS this time of year? Are these the "reblooming" kind?
PFG and Laura -- Love the photos of your "rock gardens"!
Wha--what lovely fall foliage photos. The bright and breathtaking colors seem few and far between around us this year...alot of muted colors. Doesnt look so in your area, tho, and you are not THAT far away from me!
4 different drops, 3-4x a day...very stressful for her AND me! She's not a happy camper, but we have to get that eye better!

Thumbnail by valal Thumbnail by valal Thumbnail by valal Thumbnail by valal
(Pam) Warren, CT(Zone 5b)

All the garden pics are great!

Fall is peaking in NE... love yours, wha. I can't take credit for ours, it's been there since long before my time. Except for a few things here and there...

Thumbnail by Pfg Thumbnail by Pfg Thumbnail by Pfg Thumbnail by Pfg Thumbnail by Pfg
Lexington, MA(Zone 6a)

Valal, I'd love all this to be in bloom now, but i was only getting around to sharing some pics I'd promised a while back. You'd recognize the purple alliums. The lilies are Conca D'or, sometimes called a type of tree lily or orienpet. The pic of my shed with the caladiums is current though.

I've been admiring Pam's views all along. Thanks, Bill, for sharing your lovely fall colors.

Thomaston, CT

Yes, thanks all of you for sharing.....color here is at its peak right now....son & family said the color around Manchester, VT was gorgeous this past Monday....

Albany, ME(Zone 4b)

Laura, if you like to look at other folks' gardens, check out the relatively new "Garden Showcase". You'll find it at the top menu in Dave's Garden.

LAS

Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

Getting inspiration from bed shots on a windy day . We had way too much damage to some big cedars and pines to absorb emotionally from the last storm, but instead of really getting me down, I have been contemplating what to do next. So, I ordered a mess of great Hosta from Bleek, Touch of Nature, to mostly plant in a newish spot that is currently just independently planted Japanese Maples and and Viburnums and Narcissus behind and existing bed. Just follow the path up towards the woods in the photo. The new planting will be parallel to the other two beds, actually there is a third bed too not shown. So come spring, I will start connecting those already randomly planted trees and shrub with this great list of Hosta plugs @ 2 plugs per each for 70.00 including shipping. It is named the Jessie's Bed, after a dear dog that loved that spot.

Hosta Candy Cane Jessie's bed
Hosta Earth Angel Jessie's bed
Hosta Faithful Heart Jessie's bed
Hosta Foxfire Green Lantern Jessie's bed
Hosta Glad Tidings Old beach plum bed
Hosta Lakeside Dimpled Darling Jessie's bed
Hosta Millennium Jessie's bed
Hosta Peppermint Ice Jessie's bed
Hosta Radiant Star Jessie's bed
Hosta Winter Snow Old beach plum bed

Thumbnail by bbrookrd
Thomaston, CT

I love hosta beds in the shady margins....it should be lovely....was Jessie one of your border collies? I have only ordered one hosta so far, Mildred Seaver's Humpback Whale....I needed a huge specimen for a shady area by the hemlocks.....goldenrod & native asters had taken the spot over, but it was too shady for them to bloom....also, very weedy looking.....hoping the hosta takes care of it.....

Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

Robindog, you are good to remember our dear Jessie, the border collie we had for 12 years until 2000. She was the daughter of a another border collie also a much loved gal, Reba. We waited for two years before getting the two sisters we have now, Nell and Winnie, who are almost 12 now and still digging holes in our beds. Your Hosta humpbacked whale sounds like a great solution. And obviously I should plant one on Nantucket! Over the years I have bought lots of Hosta plugs in the spring and after a month or two in 4 to 6 inch pots, I have planted them in the beds. Not huge growth in first summer, but by third quite substantial and have not had any of the dreaded diseases nor lost many.

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

hi patti - will have to check those hosta out. that path area looks great.

Thomaston, CT

I guess my memory is better for canines than it is for people! Lovely that you can remember Jesse with the per. bed. It's been a year since I lost Suey, & it's still difficult to think of her, but Nicki is helping. I just ordered another hosta, Anne, which is the name of my middle grandchild...the hosta has a lot of yellow in it & she's a sunny blonde, so I had to buy it!

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

I love the reasons for naming beds or purchasing plants. The memories we hold dear!!!!

I also love the views of beds to get perspective.

Thomaston, CT

Always love to see other folk's beds......I need the inspiration!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.